Merck Research Laboratories South San Francisco, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co., is focused on driving discovery research. Our new multi-disciplinary discovery research site offers state-of- the-art resources to explore the most promising science combined with Merck's world-class R&D expertise in small molecules and biologics. Located within the heart of the Bay area's biomedical community, research conducted in our new laboratories spans exploratory biology through early clinical development and is an integral part of Merck's powerful world-class network of drug and vaccine discovery.
At Merck, we are inspired by the belief that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to scientific excellence can create medicines and vaccines that save and improve lives. Every employee is building on our proud legacy of scientific breakthrough. Our ability to impact the lives of patients worldwide depends on the integrity, creativity, humility and scientific acumen of our team. We are creating a diverse organization that is inspired by invention and founded on a culture of respect and collaboration. At Merck Research Labs South San Francisco, you'll have the opportunity to expand your knowledge and skills through collaboration with talented and dedicated colleagues while advancing your career.
Merck is currently seeking a proven computational chemist with a strong track record of applying computation in drug discovery to join the Modeling and Informatics group at our South San Francisco, CA site. The successful candidate will be responsible for the design and optimization of novel drug candidates using advanced computational techniques, taking on roles of responsibility within portfolio programs, and scientific talent development.
Specific responsibilities will include:
• Collaboration with discovery teams to invent novel medicines including defining project strategy and driving execution
• Championing a "design first" strategy within project teams to achieve better molecules faster
• Active participation in recruitment, training and development of staff within the Modeling and Informatics group
• Contributing to the global Modeling and Informatics strategy across all research sites
• Continuing research in new areas of molecular modeling relevant to drug discovery and development
• Maintaining an external scientific presence including authoring significant scientific publications and presentations Qualifications:
- Required: Ph.D. in either Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biophysics, or equivalent, preferably with a Computational Chemistry emphasis
- Minimum of (8) years experience in the Pharmaceutical Industry
- Strong communication skills, along with the ability to work well in multidisciplinary teams
- Evidence of creative application of computational approaches to problems of biological or chemical interest
- 5% Travel
The quality of our team is essential to our success. We are creating a new and innovative approach to rewarding our employees and establishing a comprehensive value proposition. Our competitive compensation program and benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com .
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for us all.