DePuy Synthes, Inc., a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Principal Scientist to be located in Raynham, MA. This position may require up to 20% domestic and international travel.
DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is the largest, most innovative and comprehensive orthopaedic and neurological business in the world. DePuy Synthes Companies offer an unparalleled breadth and depth of products, services and programs in the areas of joint reconstruction, trauma, spine, sports medicine, neurological, craniomaxillofacial, power tools and biomaterials. Building on the legacy and strengths of two great companies, more agile and better equipped to meet the needs of today's evolving health care environment. With a focus on activating insights to develop innovative, comprehensive solutions, we are inspired to advance patient care in greater ways than either company could accomplish on its own.
The Principal Scientist will lead identification, evaluation, reduction to practice of new technologies/materials to address the unmet needs in Sports Medicine. This requires gaining an understanding of user needs, market trends, and evidence required to demonstrate effectiveness, as well as exploring related technologies across industries. The Principal Scientist will focus on developing tissue engineering solutions for orthopedic applications, including novel treatments for pathologies in cartilage, bone and soft tissues as well as treatments for osteoarthritis.
The Principal Scientist will:
• Effectively communicate concepts, ideas and knowledge to other individuals, surgeons, customers and/ or teams and work effectively with internal and external stakeholders
• Plan, conduct and direct research and development.
• Prioritize tasks and manage a varied workload, exhibit strong written and verbal communication skills and interface effectively with project teams, management and surgeons.
• Develop creative solutions to solve problems.
• Demonstrate a strong initiative and follow through in executing project responsibilities, overcoming obstacles and balancing multiple priorities effectively.
• Work independently solving technical problems with creative solutions, identifying all critical aspects of a design is required.
• Present opportunities to senior management, gain alignment on funding and deliverables.
• Establish, execute, and report on funded product development deliverables, taking project from concept, clinical program to commercialization either through internal team or external partners
• Present and participate in portfolio strategy discussions.
• Develop a strong understanding of competitive, technology and IP landscape.Qualifications
• A Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience OR a Master’s Degree in Engineering with a minimum of 6 years of relevant work experience OR PhD with a minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience is required
• A degree focused in Polymers, Biology, Biomedical, Chemical Engineering, Biomaterials Engineering or Materials Science is preferred
• Experience in medical device or pharmaceutical industry is preferred.
• Experience working in a regulated industry is required
• Knowledge of vitro tissue culture, biomechanics, cGMP or in vivo/preclinical musculoskeletal models is strongly preferred
• Familiar with disease states as well as have direct experience in evaluating cell- scaffold (polymeric or biologic based) interactions, drug formulations, and/or design of preclinical studies is strongly preferred
• Experience with advanced technologies, cell based therapies, bioactives, drugs, and/or scaffold based technologies for use in musculoskeletal tissue repair is required
• Experience with process development and validation activities leading to manufacturing scale-up of pre-clinical toxicology supplies and pilot phase clinical manufacturing scale up is strongly preferred
• Ability to look beyond conventional solutions and familiarity with technologies extending beyond traditional orthopedic therapies and products is strongly preferred
• Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills, with experience presenting before a management board, are required
• Proficiency utilizing the MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.) is required
• This position will be located in Raynham, MA and may require up to 20% domestic and international travelPrimary Location
DePuySynthes Products Inc (6149)Job Function