Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
As a key member of the Pain & Symptomatic Therapeutic Area within the Neuroscience department, the successful candidate will have had experience leading drug discovery programs for novel treatments for pain or related diseases. The position will require 1) leading and serving as a core team member on drug discovery programs and 2) managing a group of scientists who both lead and support preclinical drug discovery efforts at different stages of development including target identification and validation, lead identification and lead optimization. The successful candidate will be able to integrate data from in vitro and in vivo experiments towards the discovery and validation of target engagement, pharmacodynamic, and safety biomarkers of drug candidates.
The individual we are seeking will be an inspiring leader capable of motivating, energizing and leading junior colleagues and project teams. The individual will be expected to provide scientific and strategic input into the target portfolio, preclinical in vivo models and novel in vitro/ex vivo techniques supporting the programs. The individual will also be expected to champion and launch new initiatives and drive innovation. Qualifications:
- A Ph.D. in pain, neuroscience, or a closely related subject with a minimum of 8 years of experience in academia or pharmaceutical industry
- A strong track record of achievement and experience of working on programs aimed at identifying novel treatments for pain or related diseases.
- Experience leading drug discovery programs.
- Track record of high quality research in the field of pain biology
- Proven ability to manage members of the department.
- Exposure to clinical development programs.
- Demonstrated ability to innovate in the laboratory using electrophysiology, biochemical and/or molecular biology assay skills.
- Experience developing practical research strategies, translate strategy into experiments, thrive in a team environment, communicate clearly and candidly, and work within high performing teams in a matrix organization
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement