Production Infrastructure Engineering is transforming Microsoft’s cloud services. The team is responsible for designing, building and operating horizontal tools for our global datacenters, demand planning and capacity utilization of infrastructure, and operations needed to run the physical infrastructure (including supply chain, hardware, power, security, and workflow teams). We focus on smart growth with an emphasis on scalable automation, backed by data driven engineering. Fleet management’s focus is to gather, verify, refresh, store, and present the data that allows Microsoft to make decisions about capacity, risk and change management. An effective Fleet management solution is the bedrock upon which many important business and technical decisions are empowered. This role revolves around collaboration with datacenter, server, storage, service, risk/change management, and mitigation teams. The Fleet Senior SE will partner with other teams to foster and build instrumentation and measurement tools and automation for software and metadata inventories, improvement and change management infrastructure and processes for datacenter inventories and evangelize and support emerging and future fleet initiatives. As such the role requires a deep understanding of cloud technologies, edge and content distributions strategies, networking and software defined networking, inventory tools and systems, RMA methodologies, CDN and Edge technologies. Familiarity with security practices, agents, and scanning is a plus. The right candidate will have a history of partnering with a variety of engineering teams to develop comprehensive cloud or operations management systems designed to adapt as business needs and operating models change.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Understand the importance of and manage the complexities of master data management to maintain a well-functioning compute asset database. Automate correlation of existing datasets to assist change management and risk assessment of everyday activities. Partner with SRE, Operations, Datacenters, and Product verticals to promote understanding and transparency of Fleet process, integrations points, and MSFT Compute goals. Design and implement systems to capture and integrate data from purchasing, deployment, repair, RMA, and EOS/EOL tools. Design systems to capture and integrate data from proprietary scanning and behavioral monitoring tools / agents. Strategic alignment with supply chain materials movement and inventory and asset disposition compliance. Partnering with compute teams, finance, strategic sourcing and other stakeholder team on deployment, utilization, and risk forecasts. Create inventory management models for emerging and future state initiatives such as critical environment, construction other key infrastructure maintenance inventory. Automate monitoring and alerting of changes based on utilization, trends, planned maintenance, etc. Engage in opportunities to improve existing planning algorithms and processes.
Skills, Experience, Knowledge:
• Project management skills required, including ability to direct multiple programs
• Strong analytical skillset in the context of Cloud supply chain planning/forecasting
• Moderate experience with server and network gear components
• Moderate experience with cloud datacenter components and IoT
• Must be able to work independently when required and as part of a team
• Able to deal with conflicting priorities, imperfect data, and frequent changes
• Excellent organization and communication skills
• Ability to think strategically beyond day-to-day execution Strong customer focus and attention to detail.
• BS/MS in Computer Science or related field or 10 years equivalent industry experience.
• 5+ years software development experience.
• Experience with a 3GL like C, C++ or C#.
• Prior experience with shipping cloud/services and having been through more than one development cycle.
• Experience with multiple platforms including Docker, Java, Linux, Mac and OSS Software security experience with penetration testing, red teaming and threat analysis.
• Experience with Microsoft Cloud Services such as Azure, Azure Active Directory and Office 365.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.