The Microsoft Support Engineering Group (MSEG) is responsible for building a new approach to customer support for the mobile-first, cloud-first world, which we call Support as a Service. As part of MSEG, the Customer Experiences Service Engineering team is responsible for building the front-end support experiences for our customers, such as support.microsoft.com, answers.microsoft.com, as well as experiences in Windows 10.
We are looking for a proven Service Engineering lead with a passion for creating delightful customer-facing experiences. This position requires strong collaboration and teamwork across team and organizational boundaries. Your ability to be the customer advocate, focusing on service first as part of a team that delivers a unified customer experience will be critical to your and the team’s success. Your mission will be to ensure services are always fast, available, scalable and engineered to withstand unparalleled demand. You will get to solve problems at scale most engineers never experience.
This position requires the flexibility and aptitude to zoom in to fine-grained detail and the agility to zoom right back to the business need. Delve into how software performs, packets flow, and hardware and code interact in support of managing services. You’ll manage, automate, and make data-based decisions and judgment calls which influence globally distributed applications. You will also be driving performance and reliability from software and infrastructure at massive scale -- where dealing in petabytes and gigabits and shifting by orders of magnitude is routine. You will tackle challenging, novel situations every day and work with just about every other engineering team at Microsoft. You will be looked upon as an expert and advocate to fellow engineers on making design and reliability trade-offs in running large- scale services that fail gracefully and transparently to users.
As a successful candidate for this role you will have strong analytical and troubleshooting skills, fluency in coding and systems design, solid communication skills and a desire to tackle the complex problems of scale. We are particularly interested in software engineers familiar with aspects of running web services at scale -- depth in networking technologies, caching solutions, and NoSQL are strong pluses. The ideal candidate will have experience leading and managing operations and engineering teams, running and designing enterprise scale services and platforms, technical depth in cloud platforms, agile development practices, and experience in designing & tuning telemetry. In addition, this position requires an individual who can demonstrate the ability to ensure highly resilient and scalable service designs through partnership with other teams.
• Build a high-performing SE team by attracting and retaining great engineering talent
• Drive resiliency, performance, and reliability into Service designs
• Drive Live Site process for Customer Experiences portfolio focused on minimizing impact of Service outages while quickly removing design failure points to prevent future service impacting events.
• Influence future designs to ensure manageability, scale, resiliency, and reliability are designed in.
• 2+ years’ experience leading an engineering or service engineering team
• Balance of technical and business acumen, capability to ramp up quickly on the business and underlying technology
• Ability to develop patterns and practices for reading, writing, configuring code, and designing end-to-end service telemetry, alerting and self-healing capabilities
• Experience developing patterns and practices applicable to resilience modeling (failure mode analysis) and simulation of service outages
• Experience developing/implementing standards in translating customer and technical requirements into service architecture to meet Quality of Service expectations
• Demonstrated ability to influence service backlog discussions & standups to establish appropriate prioritization of service/product requirements
• Excellent communications skills with the ability to communicate complex problems/scenarios succinctly to technical and non-technical audiences (in person and in writing.)
• Demonstrated ability to assertively align cross-organization discussions and actions towards a clear path forward.
• Strong problem solving, data-driven, and decision-making skills required. Ability to deal with ambiguity and navigate through uncertain situations to drive for clarity
• Working knowledge of performance monitoring, remote administration, client/server architecture, Web application management, internet technologies and network architecture
• Outstanding problem solving skills and passion to solve hard problems as part of a team
• Experience in automation, specifically related to deployment, recovery, or other manual processes.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or related sciences - or equivalent work experience.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.