Principal SFT Eng Manager
Location: Sunnyvale, California
Posted: December 21, 2017
Reference ID: 1084995
Azure Big Data presents interesting challenges in technologies such as big-data, cloud, storage, and open source. We build reliable, highly scalable and highly performing distributed systems for data analytics on Azure. We work with various open-source technologies like Hadoop, YARN, REEF, Kubernetes, etc., and make contributions to these technologies. We are creating a planetary scale storage system, which can scale to many Exabytes of data (yes, that’s 18+ digits!).
Azure services is building next generation globally distributed, elastic scale, and multi-model cloud database services. It is designed to enable developers to build planet-scale applications. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to be part of a very agile team, take on hard distributed system problems and ship high-impact features at a rapid pace.
As a software engineering manager, you will lead a small team of talented, highly committed developers, with great pedigree. You will drive the design, development, testing, release, and support of data virtualization technologies which allows users to federate data from and distribute computation to a wide variety of heterogenous data sources (engines, filesystems) and data types. As the team is straddled between the Sunnyvale and Redmond locations you will be asked to divide your time and physical presence between locations based on project and team needs.
• Understand business objectives and plans accordingly. Critically review multiple plans and adjust as needed. Proactively communicate and address necessary trade-offs
• Plan the teams work to achieve goals and respond effectively to changing priorities, maintaining team energy and results
• Partner and collaborate with other teams on related deliverables, and effectively leverage others in relevant work streams
• Motivate others to generate innovative ideas and contribute to the design of systems and tools that aid innovation
• Leverage resources to help employees develop skills and support their career interests
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering or Mathematics or Physics or IT technical discipline or in place of 3+ years of internship or 3+ years of industry software engineering experience
• 3+ years of programming experience in Java OR C++ OR C# OR C OR object-oriented programming
• 3+ years of experience with agile practices or scrum applied to the software development lifecycle
• 1+ years of experience with demonstrated track-record in leading an engineering team and delivering products in the database space
• Expertise in database systems, SQL, search engines, massively distributed systems, query federation Great curiosity and willingness to question
• High enthusiasm, integrity, ingenuity, results-orientation, self-motivation, and resourcefulness in a fast-paced competitive environment
• Love the next problem, the next experiment, the next partner
• Have a deep desire to work collaboratively, solve problems with groups, find win/win solutions and celebrate successes
• Get excited by the challenge of hard technical problems
• Familiarity with agile practices and scrum applied to the software development lifecycle
• Demonstrated track-record in leading an engineering team and delivering products in the database space
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.