Principal Software Engineer
Microsoft Cloud Infrastructure and Operations (MCIO) is the engine that powers Microsoft’s cloud services. The team is responsible for designing, building and operating our unified global datacenters; managing the demand planning and capacity utilization of our unified infrastructure; and all the operations needed to run the physical infrastructure (including supply chain, hardware, power, security, and workflow teams. We focus on smart growth with an emphasis on automation, data driven engineering, cost-effectiveness and environmental sustainability. Our team is a vital part of making Microsoft’s cloud automatically grow itself and heal itself.
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will work with customers and business partners to understand requirements and propose solutions; work with engineers to architect and implement solutions to improve our supply chain operations; collaborate and mentor other engineers across MCIO; plan and organize engineering efforts that help reduce project risks.
This position requires a combination of effective communication and collaboration skills, as well as ability to design, code, and work in a team.
• Use effective tactical and strategic planning to deliver business impact incrementally and establish good collaboration and full transparency with the team, customers, and management
• Assist your fellow engineers, mentoring their skills development and fostering a good work environment, not just in your immediate team, but all of MCIO
• Collaborate with customers and other engineering teams to deeply understand business problems
• Lead the implementation and design of systems to automate and improve business workflows, using metrics to drive improvements and maximize impact
• Use engineering best practices throughout the software development lifecycle to establish sustainable, secure systems that grow and support the business
• Strong problem solving, organization, and communication skills
• 10+ years’ experience in an engineering role
• Ability to quickly understand existing concepts and employ new techniques
• 5 years of experience leading design and development of software engineering projects
• Degree in computer science, engineering or related field, or equivalent industry experience with knowledge of data structures and algorithms
• Track record of successfully applying technology to solve business problems
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.