Principal Software Engineer
You can be part of a renaissance at Microsoft without leaving your love of Linux behind. As a member of Yammer's Infrastructure Engineering team, you would help us deliver the Linux-based, container powered, cloud environment that powers Yammer. Microsoft is seeking an experienced software engineer to join Yammer's Storage Team in San Francisco.
As a Principal Software Engineer you on the Storage team you'll be responsible for building and owning systems that store and serve all of Yammer's core data, including users and feeds.
What You'll Do:
- Solve engineering problems by creating solutions that leverage existing technologies and utilize your technical prowess to design and implement solutions where none exist
- Design, build, maintain, and improve Yammer's scalable distributed storage footprint in the cloud, Microsoft Azure IAAS
- Collaborate with teams in troubleshooting problems with Hadoop and similar technologies (HDFS, MapReduce, HBase, Azure Paas storage)
- Continually improve operability, scalability, efficiency, performance and reliability of our storage solutions.
- Provide mentorship to other team members
- Provide architectural direction and develop system roadmaps
- Translate high level requirements to actionable tasks/deliverables
- Will support the team working as part of an on-call rotation
What You'll Bring:
- B.S. in Computer Science or a related field
- 5+ years of experience designing and deploying large scale distributed systems with expertise in Hadoop and HBase or equivalent
- 5+ years of experience in architecting and designing storage infrastructure for the Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) platform
- Expert knowledge of Java/Python/SQL
- Experience working with cloud platforms such as AWS, Google Cloud Platform, etc.
- Experience solving problems with Hadoop and related technologies (HDFS, MapReduce, HBase)
- Thrive with minimum supervision to deliver well-designed high-quality code on time
- Can-do attitude on problem solving, quality and ability to execute
- Excellent inter-personal and teamwork skills
The Yammer product is used by all kinds of people, so that diversity of experiences is critical to how we develop. We believe in sane work hours, using our vacation time, continuing to learn on the job, and we offer paid parental leave.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check. This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Microsoft will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.