Microsoft Cloud Infrastructure & Operations (MCIO) powers Microsoft’s Cloud services. Our group is responsible for managing Microsoft’s Cloud infrastructure for 1 Billion customers by designing, building and operating our 1+ million servers in 100 datacenters in over 90 countries.
Within MCIO, our team is responsible for dynamic and automated capacity management for Microsoft Cloud. This is accomplished through a scalable and distributed system that will enable us to continuously model the planned Cloud capacity and automatically adjust the provisioning and consumption rate of cloud infrastructure resources. Our solutions employ machine learning, change modelling, automation of business processes and logistics, real-time data collection and analysis, prioritization of resource allocations, and other techniques to efficiently deliver customer promise around infinite cloud resources.
We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer who is passionate about solving large business optimization problems at scale and help develop a new class of services and automation techniques to innovate how Microsoft manages Cloud capacity. This includes architecting a clear north-star architecture and incrementally executing towards that goal. If you are comfortable incubating software solutions to large-scale business problems, can collaborate effectively throughout C+E, enjoy dealing with ambiguity and creating clarity then this is the position for you.
- Enumerate and document the business and engineering requirements for cloud infrastructure capacity planning and management
- Drive technical discussions to create a scalable, highly available system to automate capacity management
- Define templates, best practices, and automated quality gates necessary to ensure consistent implementation of components across team
- Participate and drive architecture, design reviews for selected components
- Drive execution and demonstrate end to end ownership of complex, technical projects to successful completion
- Identify, drive and evangelize latest technology and industry trends, development patterns and software methodologies
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent
- MS preferred
- 10+ years as a software engineer, program manager
- 5+ years in distributed services, comfortable with large scale data collection, aggregation and analysis
- Passion for customers and ability to crystalize customer requirements into efficient designs
- Proven track record of designing and delivering complex, scalable and reliable services end to end
- Ability to quickly pick up new technologies and industry trends
- Strong problem solving and communication skills, self-driven and long-term strategic thinker
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.