Principal Software Engineer - Tactical Engineering
Do you want to work at startup-speed while solving problems at scale? Do you bristle at the idea of timelines being measured in years? Do you like the idea of being a change-agent in a company your family will recognize? Do you prefer to write software instead of attend meetings? If so: this is the job for you.
You will be a key member of the Tactical Engineering Development team (we also like the acronym). Its focus is to accelerate platform, feature, and infrastructure development in response to emergent business opportunities. Your team is passionate about moving the engineering needle by shipping quickly and with high quality. The team will solve key strategic technical problems using whatever language/platform is the best choice for that situation. The team will also expand our commitment to the open source community by contributing back as much code as possible. This full stack, multi-disciplinary team will be directly accountable to senior Digital Product Engineering leadership.
The team is part of a larger Digital Product Engineering technology organization empowered to deliver delightful customer experiences in all digital channels (Web, Mobile, Echo, etc..). Digital Product Engineering is responsible for building the core digital experiences for Capital One, including our iPhone/Android apps, the marketing and account servicing websites, digital wallet integrations, and much of the public-facing product infrastructure. Our award-winning products enables our 45 million customers to manage their Credit Card, Bank, Auto Loan, Home Loan and Investing accounts. Subsequently, your team will deal with many of these groups. Our team is growing and we're looking for engineers who lead by doing, have a passion for solving problems and who exude professionalism every day.
- Be a productive member of an Engineering team that solves high-value platform, product, or business problems in rapid succession and autonomy
- Contribute to the team’s technical output: write code, architect, and debug issues
- Help the team meet organizational strategy, goals, and key metrics
- Ensure sound technical decisions are being made in your teams and that Agile practices are being observed
- Own the success of your projects both in terms of delivering on the right objectives and doing so on time
- Write high-quality, test-driven software
- Identify, navigate, and overcome technical and organizational barriers that may stand in the way of delivery
- Inspire your team members through contributing toward a great culture and leading by example
- Author, lead, or adopt new open-source technologies in the team
- Influence outcomes by sharing your opinions and providing thought leadership where appropriate
- Build relationships with team members, stakeholders, partners, and leadership through regular communication
- Constantly improve the processes and practices around development and delivery
- Recruit new engineering talent by representing the Capital One brand through local meetups, conference speaking, and public writing
- Mentor more junior members of the team
- Able to write and talk about code (and can prove it)
- Personal projects in Github
- Open source software contributions
- Bachelor’s Degree or Military experience
- At least 4 total years of professional software engineering experience
- At least 2 years of experience leading software delivery using Agile
- At least 2 years of experience building software in a continuous integration environment
- At least 2 years of experience delivering software in the public cloud (AWS or equivalent)
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 2 years of previous full stack software development experience (web or mobile)
- 1-year of experience working in a hands-on startup or equivalently rapid delivery project
- 1-year of experience using TDD practices
- 1-year of experience in banking or FinTech
At this time, Capital One sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.