Comcast's Technology & Product organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
The Xfinity Home Camera Platform is being developed by Comcast Cable's Technology & Product (T&P) organization and consists of advanced technologies that process home automation and security video to provide added value to these products. Advanced video analytics algorithms running both on the camera and in the cloud will enable the delivery of useful notifications and easy to consume digests of video security content. This can include thumbnails or short clips where people are present in the video and could be as advanced as recognition of household members, pets, vehicles, etc. and their behaviors.
As a Principal Engineer, you will be a technical leader on the team with significant input on technical design decisions. You will work with other engineers and researchers with backgrounds in advanced fields such as computer vision and machine learning (including deep learning). As a key member of the team, you will help define, refine, and test state of the art algorithms, and scale the associated systems for high performance, stability, and availability.
Comcast T&P encourages career development with regular opportunities for training and programs for innovative cross-team projects such as week-long Hackathon and job rotation programs over the summer.
- Writing production-quality, tested code.
- Understanding the code base thoroughly in breadth and depth, as well as managing code repositories and development infrastructure.
- Producing technical designs and documentation at varying levels of granularity
- Collaborating with our quality assurance and technical operations teams to provide outstanding customer service
- Resisting the accrual of "technical debt" in our systems.
Mentoring more junior members of the technical staff, performing code reviews, and leading the team to be effective and agile.
- Building proof-of-concept applications or conducting exploratory experiments with the Xfinity Home Camera platform.
- Staying educated on technical developments and tools necessary for the design and maintenance of complex, distributed platforms.
- Serving as an ambassador of the platform to the broader technical community, both inside and outside Comcast, via a combination of authorship of technical papers, journal articles, and/or blog posts; and delivering presentations at technical conferences, meetups, user groups, etc.
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical field. Advanced degree preferred.
- 10+ years of relevant work experience including extensive programming experience.
- Expert Software Developer-detailed knowledge in the state-of-the art, object-oriented software development including continuous integration, test-driven-development, automated unit and integration testing.
- Experience developing service oriented architectures and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability.
- Experience with high-scale, distributed web service development (hands-on experience with RESTful web services).
- Experience with SQL, noSQL, and distributed databases and caching.
- Experience with machine learning pipelines and model deployment would be a plus
- Knowledge of microservices architecture and container orchestration frameworks (Docker, Kubernetes/Mesos).
- Knowledge of automated scaling frameworks and tools. Openstack, AWS, or Azure experience a plus.
- Knowledge of common opensource frameworks (Apache).
- Familiar with distributed configuration and service discovery frameworks.
- Experience with versioning tools (GIT a plus).
- Experience with Agile development methodologies and practices (refactoring, TDD, pair programming).
- UNIX/Linux background: facility with command-line utilities; familiarity with system administration tools and concepts.
- Familiarity with distributed systems, asynchronous messaging, and network protocols.
- Experience and sound knowledge in various data interchange and representation formats such as JSON, XML, and Protobuf.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer