Do you live to solve hard problems? Do you revel in breaking through barriers? Thrive not only in Microsoft software and services, but also in Open Source (OSS), for both short and longer-term projects? Then the Commercial Software Engineering team would be a great place to leverage and grow those skills while working on impactful projects that accelerate the success of our partners, our products, and the developer ecosystem.
In the Commercial Software Engineering group (CSE), we work with organizations large and small to solve some of their toughest engineering challenges and help transform their business. Our mission is to enable high-impact organizations and developer communities to achieve more and drive the value of our intelligent cloud and edge. To deliver on this mission, we code shoulder-to-shoulder with our partners on direct engineering collaborations, connect with developers everywhere as trusted technical experts, and constantly build our expertise in emerging technologies and engineering practices.
By partnering to build game-changing experiences that leverage Microsoft’s intelligent cloud and edge, our team builds solutions that materially impact the success of our partners’ businesses. We then share the generalizable parts of those solutions with the world, with the aspiration of paving a path for others to follow. Be releasing OSS on Github and elsewhere, writing code stories and blogging, and speaking a conferences and local meetups, we become trusted technical experts and enable developers everywhere to achieve more.
Evangelism is an equally big focus for our team. We tell the story of our projects and code via blog posts, white papers, videos, social media, and speaking at developer conferences – our projects aren’t over until we’ve shown other developers how they can build on what we’ve learned. Through the combination of technical expertise gained through our deep engineering partnerships and our commitment to sharing what we have learned, we become trusted technical experts who can impactfully drive the value of our intelligent cloud and edge.
This candidate will be responsible for:
• Leading a team of engineers working in a dynamic environment, managing both their day-to-day responsibilities as well as their long-term career growth and development.
• Leading the engagement and execution of engineering projects with partners.
• Developing software to unlock new technical and business opportunities for partners.
• Identifying opportunities and paving the way (with architecture and code) for partners to accelerate their success on Microsoft platforms.
• Working collaboratively with your peers across the US and Canada to manage and guide our engineering process, with a focus on continuously improving quality, engineering productivity, and responsiveness.
• Engaging with Microsoft’s product team engineers to provide feedback and influence product roadmap and direction.
• Sharing expertise with customers, partners, and communities worldwide.
• Developing deep relationships with open source communities, startups and enterprises with high impact on Microsoft’s platform businesses.
The ideal candidate will have:
• Minimum 2 years of experience leading software engineers, 10 years of experience as a software engineer.
• Excellent collaboration and coaching skills.
• Exceptional decision-making skills, conflict resolution, and follow through.
• Demonstrated deep technical development expertise and solid engineering fundamentals.
• Hands-on coding experience with open source platforms like node.js, Ruby on Rails, the JVM ecosystem, the Hadoop ecosystem, data platforms like Postgres, MongoDB, and Cassandra, machine learning, IoT, and/or messaging platforms like Apache Kafka.
• A deep understanding of cloud computing technologies and emerging trends with deep relevant experience with one of the public cloud vendors.
• Demonstrated engineering and architectural leadership on projects ranging in scope and focus
• Existing relationships within open source communities and a deep understanding of how to interact with, and contribute to, these communities.
• Active presence and a good reach in relevant tech communities and social media (GitHub, StackOverflow, Twitter, etc.)
• Great communication, presentation skills, and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently with high impact results.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.