Principal Software Engineering Lead
In an always connected world, devices and services play a central role in our daily lives. The Windows and Devices networking and Internet of Things (IoT) team provides the foundation for reliable and secure communication between the cloud and your devices. We provide the technologies for all Windows products: traditional desktop, Xbox, Holographic/HoloLens, IoT, Surface and other form factors. Our platform is used by billions of users every day.
We are looking for a Principal Software Engineering Lead to join the WDG Core Dev STACK Services team. This team owns the technology and services that power Windows networking, syncing, devices and IoT.
The ideal candidate is an experienced engineering lead who has a passion for networking, syncing, devices and IoT technologies as well as building a high performing engineering team. As an engineering lead for this critical set of capabilities, you will be leading a team of engineers to ensure data on devices is always current and always reliable. For this technology, milliseconds matter, and correctness and COGS is critical. People live their lives and plan their days around what you do, so it’s important to get it right. You will help develop the long-term vision and the robust, scalable and extensible architecture to achieve low latency. You will drive development, scheduling, validation and delivery of components and features. Previous experience with building scalable cloud services is a must as you will be building a new cloud service. You will have an opportunity to build a services culture on the team. You will coach and mentor junior members of the team and work with members of the team to deliver amazing results according to schedule with the highest quality. You demonstrate cross-group leadership skills by effectively working across teams and thrive in high pressure environments.
• Provide critical thinking, technical innovation, and attention to detail while serving as a trusted advisor in the team
• Write clean well thought out code with an emphasis on quality, performance, simplicity, durability, scalability, and maintainability while also mentoring others to do the same
• Execute on the team approach to Software Engineering by designing, coding, testing, debugging, building, and deploying
• Use telemetry to improve the features and improve satisfaction
• Gain a deep understanding of Microsoft businesses and collaborate with multiple partner teams to implement cohesive end-to-end experiences for our customers
• BS or higher in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
• 12+ years of experience developing software
• 7+ years of people management experience building, developing and leading teams
• Experience in developing network technology
• Passion for iterative development and ability to design for robustness, longevity and extensibility across releases
• Expert development skills in C++/C#
• Design and development experience with distributed systems and operating systems
• Previous design and development experience with scalable cloud services (e.g., bing, SQL Azure, Azure, AWS, etc.)
• An interest in building a team with a services mindset in the Windows STACK Services team
Please reach out to @Heather MSFT (https://twitter.com/Heather_MSFT) on twitter to learn more about our team.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.