The Identity Division is out to revolutionize application development. In our cloud-first, mobile-first world, almost everything about application architecture has changed. Identity is the new common denominator: it is the thread that ties users, applications, data, and organizations together. We have a big vision, and we’re looking for like-minded engineers who are passionate about delivering value to developers, enjoy a growth hacking environment, and are eager to play one of the most important long games for Microsoft.
The Principal Engineering Manager position in our Developer Experience team is critical to our ‘Identity-as-a-service’ vision to build a self-service scalable and robust authentication platform. The Microsoft Identity team (both Microsoft Account and Azure Active Directory) needs help driving multi-platform and open source development. Building a successful identity system in the cloud requires enabling as many types of customers as possible, in as many ways as possible. We need to create SDKs, for iOS, Android, .NET as well as Python, Ruby, PHP, Cordova, and others, that help customers build web and mobile applications using Microsoft’s Identity solution. This position offers an opportunity to do highly visible work that deeply impacts Microsoft core businesses and requires collaboration with open source and open standards communities. We need someone who is hands-on, detail-oriented, and obsessed with building a world-class developer experience.
The day to day responsibilities include a blend of technical, hands-on leadership with strong people management and talent attraction skills. Ideal candidate would have prior experience / knowledge in:
• Building developer facing SDKs and/or development frameworks on one of:
• iOS, Wndroid, Windows
• Experience with Git and GitHub
• Experience leading high-performance, efficient teams
• Ability to operate in a highly ambiguous, rapidly evolving environment with one foot inside Microsoft and one-foot outside
• Ability to interact well with customers, both internal and external
• Extra credit for experience with authentication technologies such as WS-Trust, SAML, OAuth, OpenID Connect, or Kerberos
• Building and leading the DevEx SDK team to deliver a world-class developer experience
• Ensuring that our developer-facing interfaces, developer guidance and documentation are best-in-class
• Engaging with the external developer community to evangelize the platform, advise on integration, and get direct feedback about the products and the way we go to market
• 8+ years of experience in software development
• 4+ years of experience managing software teams
• BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent industry experience
• Strong technical and communication skills, ability to deal with ambiguity, and very high level of creativity and inquisitiveness
• Excellent leadership, cross-group collaboration, and influence skills
• Demonstrated experience in shipping high quality products and services
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check - This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.