The Microsoft Cloud Infrastructure and Operations (MCIO) group is an exciting and fast evolving engineering group within Microsoft. MCIO’s mission is to optimize and deliver industry leading cloud infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft’s online services used by our Customers around the world. The organization is responsible for strategy and delivery of the foundational platform for all Microsoft Online Services including demand and capacity forecasting, supply chain, data centers, networking, bandwidth, operations, and incident management. MCIO supports over 200 online businesses including Bing, O365, OneDrive, Xbox and Windows Azure branded services. The Strategic Sourcing and Supply Management organization within Microsoft Cloud Infrastructure and Operations (MCIO) manages sourcing and supply of hardware for all of Microsoft’s current and future on-line services. Well-defined and executed Strategic Sourcing and Supply Management ensures reliable on-time performance, prevents urgent and unplanned investments, and provides accurate and timely information across the supply base and internally across the infrastructure organization.
We are seeking a high caliber Principal Sourcing Engineer for developing should cost models and financial analysis for server, network and data center hardware. The Principal Sourcing Engineer will have the opportunity to make an immediate impact on business success and by using predictive modelling, bring the right solutions to the whole organization.
Develop best-in-class commodity cost models to understand cost and operational drivers for the hardware infrastructure through conversations with suppliers, internal and external research
Partner with the sourcing managers and develop sourcing strategy with suppliers utilizing knowledge from the commodity cost model and applicable market data points
Proactively develop and deliver the functional requirements, projects and tasks within the assigned functional team and support cross functional work streams as required
Works with key functional leaders across sourcing, engineering and finance to support initiatives through implementation, including tracking progress, designing and monitoring key metrics, tracking performance against milestones, and delivering against plans to meet commitment and goals
Performs strategic analyses, including but not limited to market analysis, competitive intelligence, profitability analysis, financial modeling, and business case development
• Customer obsession, with the ability to communicate with highly technical management teams
• Experience with capacity planning, operations planning, and/or launching Internet software/services and large scale distributed systems
• Passion for functioning in an ambiguous and evolving engineering operations environment
• Demonstrated strong performance in prior roles, with increasing levels of responsibility
• Strong analytical, problem-solving, negotiation and organizational skills
• Proven project management, interpersonal and communication skills, with high attention to detail
• Ability to interact with diverse technical and non-technical groups spanning all organizational levels
• Ability to communicate and effectively influence manufacturing partners to adhere to the aligned plans, and ability to influence them to deliver effectively and efficiently as well
• Outstanding planning and communication skills
• Strong analytical skills are required, specifically within MS Excel to include v-look ups, pivot tables, and graphing
• Familiarity with statistical analysis, machine learning and data-modeling
• BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience, preferred MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical field
• 10+ years of server, data center, networking or large-scale operations experience
• 2+ years with intermediate to advanced knowledge level of SQL
• 2+ years with intermediate to advanced knowledge level of PowerBI
Microsoft is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the work place. Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected status.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.