The Principal Systems Engineer- Network Security Architecture designs and architects solutions that enforce information technology security standards for both Internet facing applications as well as internal applications, pertaining to the network and security infrastructure that both transports those applications to the end user as well as protects the confidentiality and integrity of the data being transmitted.
The Principal Systems Engineer guides the development, maintenance, and support of The Home Depot's technical infrastructure that includes network, hardware, database, and system software components. They have an in-depth understanding of the technology landscape and act as the face of the Systems Engineering group to other areas of the organization. In addition, they provide technical guidance to more junior Systems Engineers.
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
40% - Strategy & Planning:
Researches and analyzes business trends and behavioral data to identify opportunities for improvements and new initiatives
Leads the evaluation, development, and recommendation of specific technology products and platforms to provide cost-effective solutions that meet business and technology requirements
Researches and designs best fit infrastructure, network, database, and security architectures for products
Guides the proactive creation and maintenance of tools for monitoring and support
Leads project budgeting, planning, and management across multiple efforts and teams
Develops and delivers formal training courses
Visits with operational units (e.g., warehouses, stores, data centers) to understand needs and build relationships
20% - Delivery & Execution:
Guides configuration, debugging, and support for infrastructure
Guides field and corporate roll-outs of technology
Guides the stand up of necessary system software, hardware, and equipment (physical or virtual) to meet changing infrastructure needs
Creates and optimizes specifications for complex technology solutions
Produces and manages purchase requests for hardware and software
Creates technical white papers and thought leadership
Creates and enforces process standards
Leads disaster recovery planning and engineering efforts
Collaborates with other leaders to drive build versus buy decisions with regard to technology
30% - Support & Enablement:
Collaborates with product and project teams to understand needs and enable them with infrastructure
Guides technology architecture design review efforts for project and product teams
Leverages tooling and custom applications to monitor the operational status of applications, infrastructure, networks, databases and security; optimizes and tunes performance as appropriate
Guides root cause analysis, debugging, support, and post-mortem analysis for security incidents and service interruptions
Guides maintenance, upgrades, and support for existing systems and infrastructure to ensure operational stability
Acts as a vendor relationship manager
Guides the production of in-house documentation around solutions
Monitors tools and proactively helps teams struggling with systems issues
Provides application support for software running in production
Guides the creation of scripts and tools that drive automation and enable product teams and end users to move towards self service
Acts as a mentor to more junior Systems Engineers
10% - Learning:
Keeps abreast of innovations and industry trends as well as changes to internal systems and determines how they impacts tools, training, and support necessary to keep systems up, running, and secure
Participates in and contributes to learning activities around modern systems engineering core practices (communities of practice)
Leads learning efforts inside the organization focused on systems engineering
Proactively views articles, tutorials, and videos to learn about new technologies and best practices being used within other technology organizations
NATURE AND SCOPE
Typically reports to the Systems Engineer Manager or Sr. Manager, Technology Director or Sr. Director.
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
Additional Environmental Job Requirements: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Must be eighteen years of age or older.
Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
Additional Minimum Qualifications:
Must be legally permitted to work in the United States
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a bachelor's degree program or equivalent degree in a field of study related to the job.
Years of Relevant Work Experience: 6 years
Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
- At least seven or more years working in Information Security including firewall design, implementation, or management in enterprise networks.
- At least 12 years working in Information Technology is preferred.
- A diverse background in perimeter security solutions is preferred and the candidate should be able to lead, innovate, and support compliance and security guidance in firewall, IDS/IPS, web proxy, load balancers, and web application firewalls.
- Designed and implemented enterprise network firewall architectures in commercial or military industries, with a demonstrated understanding of firewall topology and zone based methodology.
- Strong understanding of JUNOS and ScreenOS firewall code along with tools like NSM and Space with Juniper Firewall Certifications is highly desired.
- Experience with Unified Threat Management (UTM) or Next Generation (NexGen) Firewalls such as Fortinet or PaloAlto is a requirement. Enterprise implementation of either of these platforms is preferred.
- Designed or maintained enterprise intrusion detection systems and prevention systems (IDS/IPS) such as Sourcefire, Snort, Suricata, or Bro, on dispersed high traffic volume networks, is a preference.
- Designed or maintained web proxy solutions (Websense, Bluecoat, or McAfee web gateway) with SSL inspection.
- Designed or maintained a web application firewall solution within the Retail or E-Commerce industry to include Imperva, Barracuda, or similar.
- Understanding of Web Programming languages (HTML,Java, C#, PHP) and scripting (Python/Perl) is requested.
- Understanding of web servers, web applications, and database requirements is requested.
- Bachelors of Science or equivalent experience with a CISSP certification a plus
- Strong written, verbal, and communication skills with emphasis on coordinating third party contracted resources
- Strong knowledge of the SDLC process and Information Security Architecture Frameworks
- Understanding of routing protocols such as OSPF, iBGP, EIGRP, or IS-IS and OSI model.
- The candidate is able to design and update network and data-flow diagrams
- Experience with either design and implementation, or operation of, large-scale enterprise deployments of network security infrastructures using a continuous improvement methodology while enforcing compliance standards is desired.
- Extensive experience with various network security appliances including but not limited to: various network Firewalls and WAF appliances
- Intrusion Detection and Prevention (IDS/IPS) tools and technologies
- Designing Network Security Solutions in enterprise-level environments with consideration for web proxy, IDS/IPS, and firewall solutions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
Action Oriented: Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm
Business Insight: Applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization s goals
Collaborates: Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
Communicates Effectively: Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences
Cultivates Innovation: Creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful
Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances
Global Perspective: Taking a broad view when approaching issues; using a global lens
Interpersonal Savvy: Relating openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people
Manages Ambiguity: Operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear
Manages Complexity: Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems
Nimble Learning: Actively learning through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
Optimizes Work Processes: Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement
Self-Development: Actively seeing new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels
Situational Adaptability: Adapting approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations
We recognize that military members are adept, motivated and hardworking. That’s why we made a commitment in 2012 to hire 55,000 veterans in 5 years!