The HoloLens Design team is seeking a Principal Technical Designer to lead a developer-focused team that creates design tools, controls and patterns, and sample apps for Windows Mixed Reality (AR and VR). You have people management experience and a strong body of work that demonstrates your leadership in User Interface design for 2D & 3D applications, web, games, or virtual reality experiences. You are skilled in designing for multimodal inputs as well as the creation and styling of controls and patterns. You are prepared to challenge the boundaries of conventional user interface design to delight users in Mixed reality. You are expert in front-end coding, and have experience in Unity or equivalent game engines. Most importantly, you are passionate about engaging with designers and developers to create a great user experience for our customers.
• Design tools that enable creators to bring their vision to life in Mixed Reality.
• Conceptualize and develop innovative controls & patterns for Mixed reality applications
• Rapidly prototype concepts to demonstrate your design and create extensible sample apps against the work you do.
• Craft innovative user experience guidance & documentation through various mediums.
• Collaborate with multiple feature owners and PM’s to solve technical and creative problems.
• Develop and foster relationships across business units to collaborate on User Experience best practices in Mixed reality.
• Work with designers, PM’s, and developers to define key milestone deliverables.
• Communicate clear expectations for quality of work, productivity, communication and professionalism with your team, leadership and key partners.
• Manage and mentor a team of designers and be a positive and creative force on the team.
• BA/BFA in 3D Design, Interaction design or equivalent industry experience.
• 5 + years Technical Design experience working with Unity or an equivalent commercial game engine to design user interfaces for games, interactive experiences in AR/VR or apps.
• Fundamental understanding of Interaction Design with the ability to create 2D Controls and Patterns that are extensible into a 3D Mixed Reality world.
• Design user interface systems that support Multimodal inputs.
• Ensure your designs conform to responsive UI/UX methodologies.
• Create rapid prototypes to demonstrate the functionality of your design.
• Develop sample apps that enable creation of great user experiences in HoloLens and VR.
• Expert in the following areas of User Experience design: Styling, Accessibility, Localization.
• Strong experience with asset implementation and workflows.
• Proficient with 3D software packages for asset creation: Maya, Cinema 4D, 3DSMax, Houdini.
• Proficient with 2D creative tools: Photoshop, Illustrator.
• Designed a User Interface in a Virtual or Augmented Reality product that has shipped.
• Motion Design – You can bring intimate objects to life.
• Storyteller – proficient in storyboarding to showcase the end-to-end user experience.
• Mobile App Development – You have created great experiences within the technical confines of a mobile platform.
• Cloud Services – You can leverage the power of the cloud through service integration.
• Multi-user/Multiplayer – You’ve created a Multi-user/Multiplayer experience
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.