Principal Program Manager
The SharePoint and OneDrive (ODSP) team owns SharePoint Online, Microsoft’s business collaboration platform, and OneDrive, Microsoft’s cloud file storage solution across both life and work. Both are among the fastest growing cloud collaboration services in the world. Today they are the fastest growing services in Office 365, highly profitable and quickly heading to 100’s of millions of monthly active users (MAUs).
The ODSP team is looking for a rock star Principal PM to help us revolutionize our Engineering Velocity (eVelocity). eVelocity is the art of shipping fast without breaking things. As Satya has said, “In order to deliver the experiences our customers need for the mobile-first and cloud-first world, we will modernize our engineering processes to be customer-obsessed, data-driven, speed-oriented and quality-focused.” We’ve made significant progress already, reducing our internal build and release workflow from weeks to days. These eVelocity improvements have already led to a decrease in customer complaints, an increase in release velocity, an increase in engineering efficiency, and equally importantly, an increase in the job satisfaction of our product developers. But we are just starting this journey and need a dynamic leader to get us to the next stage where we will reduce our processes from days to at most hours and in many cases minutes.
In this role you’ll:
• Leverage state-of-the-art systems and services from across the company and industry.
• Work closely with many partner teams in Microsoft to improve code velocity, mean time to detect issues (MTTD) and to recover from them (MTTR).
• Design and deliver systems to enable continuous integration & deployment with automatic failure detection and rollback.
• Deliver systems to track and manage regressions, and to provide telemetry to protect our service from failures.
Your work will tie into Office 365 and Microsoft’s Engineering System – Microsoft’s big, bold bets in the cloud – and will be critical for the successes of our cloud products. You will have visibility at the top Executive levels, where you’ll be reporting your status regularly. We’re looking for someone who isn’t afraid to jump in to some seriously hard problems, organize the work, and get results. Someone experienced in working across teams and leading without authority. You need to lead a large group of Developers, Program Managers (PMs) and Service Reliability Engineers (SREs). You need to be able to articulate clear outcomes, drive a plan from ambiguity, sell to leadership, get buy-in across an engineering organization, rally your eVelocity teams (split across Redmond and China), execute well and deliver solid results.
If you ever wanted to master the challenges of shipping a huge service faster without breaking things, and innovate with platforms to Fail Early and Fix Fast, then come join us in one of the more critical products and missions for Microsoft. It is pretty magical to be accountable for changing fundamental aspects of our software development processes, our systems and our culture, without ever disrupting the 100s of millions of live active users of our cloud service.
• Make our developers more efficient, and break new records in engineering Satisfaction scores (eSATs) by modernizing our Engineering Systems, driving Code Health improvements, and architecting optimizations.
• Make it hard for code regressions to reach production and make regression recovery finish in minutes vs. hours by investing in platforms for safe rollout, better Mean Time to Detect (MTTD), Mean Time to Investigate (MTTI) and Mean Time To Recovery (MTTR).
• Work with other partner teams to optimize the Microsoft engineering ecosystem solutions, and to fully transition our products to the latest and greatest technologies.
• Join and lead the ODSP eVelocity leadership team. Drive clarity, lead a high energy team, and execute well – sell the vision, communicate broadly, strengthen the partnerships, prioritize the work, and celebrate.
• Project lead our engineering efforts across the Redmond and the China eVelocity engineers.
• This is a leadership role, though it has no direct reports, it requires experience in leading people. Prioritizing and making decisions based on data and metrics, and selling the dream to partners and top executives.
• This is a highly technical role, it requires proven technical skills and independence. It is a great opportunity for Dev Leads or Dev Managers interested in strengthening their PM skills
• This is a highly visible role, it requires excellent cross-discipline leadership, collaboration and influencing skills. You’ll be driving change, and influence without authority across many groups.
• This is a principal PM role, it requires excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate large scale business problems, alternatives, and product strategy.
• This role requires creativity, customer obsession and solid active listening skills. Your customers include a huge group of Microsoft developers. Understanding how to make these folks more efficient is more of an art than a science.
• 5+ years of PM, leadership, and/or management experience
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.