Under general direction of the manager of the facility, interprets physicians' prescriptions and compounds and dispenses medications within regulatory guidelines. Consults with customers regarding use of medications and potential drug interactions; counsels customers and handles complex problem resolution.
This will be an on call/relief pharmacist opening. There are no guaranteed weekly hours. The pharmacy is open 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM Monday through Friday and 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM on Saturdays.
This position is categorized as compliance critical and, as such, requires and is assigned specific responsibility for ensuring continual and proper compliance with all division, corporate and regulatory requirements. Please note, this position can be categorized as Exempt or Non-Exempt. Pharmacist who meet the learned professional exemption and are paid on a salary or fee basis are designated Exempt. Pharmacist who are paid hourly are designated Non-Exempt. PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Qualifications: EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Responsible for the dispensing of inpatient and outpatient medications; verifies prescribed medications according to professional standards, facility procedures, and state and federal legal requirements.
- Consults with patients regarding medications or supplies prescribed, including dosage, frequency, specialized requirements and possible drug interactions.
- Works closely with patient in order to answer all questions and/or concerns regarding their prescriptions.
- Reviews and evaluates patient's plan of care for obvious conflicts.
- Manages all associate relations functions for the pharmacy technicians such as hiring, terminating and performance management.
- Monitors the overall performance of staff members to ensure compliance with policies, practices and approved pharmaceutical dispensing processes.
- Maintains established procedures concerning quality assurance, security of controlled substances, and record keeping.
- Makes recommendations to the manager regarding any changes to operating procedures in an effort to facilitate smooth customer service operations.
- Performs prescription verification of unit dose orders, order entry and verification of IV admixtures, providing technical guidance to pharmacy technicians.
- Responds to customer inquiries, requests and issues when situations get escalated to a higher level of authority other than a customer service associate.
- Provides consulting on pharmaceutical matters to various levels of personnel regarding pharmacy operations.
- Reviews daily reporting and scheduling of hours worked for the pharmacy technicians to include sick time, vacation time, personal and holiday time.
- Supervises activities relative to customer files and contacts, ensuring that they are updated as needed to comply with current licensing.
- Leads department meetings and in-service training for pharmacy technicians.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Requires broad training in fields such as business administration, accountancy, sales, marketing, computer sciences or similar vocations generally obtained through completion of a four year Bachelor's Degree program or equivalent combination of experience and education. Normally requires a minimum of eight (8) years directly related and progressively responsible experience; a Degree in Pharmacy from an accredited College of Pharmacy. Unrestricted, current state license as a Registered Pharmacist in resident state is required. MINIMUM SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to work quickly and accurately under time and volume constraints
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to resolve customer issues quickly and creatively in order to improve customer satisfaction
- Familiarity with pharmaceutical products, services and drug interactions
- Strong organizational skills; attention to detail
- Good analytical skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
A little about us:
Where knowledge, reach and partnership shape healthcare delivery.