Under general direction of the pharmacy manager of the facility interprets physicians' prescriptions and compounds and dispenses medications within regulatory guidelines. Supervises the clinical activities of the pharmacy technicians. Consults and counsels ambulatory patients regarding the appropriate use of medications and potential drug interactions; handles complex problem resolution. Qualified applicants must have availability during the hours of 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM Monday through Friday.
This position is categorized as compliance critical and as such requires and is assigned specific responsibility for ensuring continual and proper compliance with all division corporate and regulatory requirements. Please note this position can be categorized as Exempt or Non-Exempt. Pharmacist who meet the learned professional exemption and are paid on a salary or fee basis are designated Exempt. Pharmacist who are paid hourly are designated Non-Exempt.
- Responsible for the evaluating preparing and dispensing of ambulatory medications; verifies prescribed medications according to professional standards facility procedures and state and federal legal requirements.
- When possible performs medication reconciliation processes to extend a seamless continuum of care for patients upon discharge.
- Ensures and behaves with a focus on excellent customer service and clinical care.
- Consults with patients regarding individual medications or supplies prescribed including dosage frequency specialized requirements and possible drug interactions.
- Interacts closely with individual patients in order to answer all questions and/or concerns regarding their medication therapy.
- Reviews and evaluates patient's plan of care for therapeutic appropriateness.
- Participates in achieving business goals and metrics for the Ambulatory Pharmacy including assisting in marketing events and promotions.
- Assists in the fiscal management of the ambulatory pharmacy to optimize profits and control expenses for the ambulatory pharmacy consistently consulting with the pharmacy manager.
- Manages all functions for the ambulatory pharmacy technicians such as hiring training terminating and performance management.
- Monitors the overall performance of all ambulatory pharmacy staff members to ensure compliance with regulatory and organizational policies practices and approved pharmaceutical dispensing processes.
- Maintains and executes all established procedures concerning quality improvement quality assurance security of controlled substances and record keeping.
- Submits reviews and handles all adjudicated prescription claims to ensure appropriateness of reimbursement co-pay and related financials and if needed follows up all such claims deemed inappropriate.
- Establishes supervises and maintains all pricing tables special tier pricing and related pricing structures as deemed necessary for the operation.
- Makes recommendations to the pharmacy manager regarding any changes to improve operating procedures or to improve and facilitate patient care.
- Performs prescription verification of all ambulatory prescriptions and provides technical guidance to pharmacy technicians.
- Promptly and appropriately responds to patient inquiries requests and issues when situations are escalated to a higher level of authority. Follows through on closing any outstanding patient concerns to provide a superior level of customer care.
- Provides consultation on pharmacy and therapeutic matters to various levels of organizational personnel.
- Reviews daily reporting and scheduling of hours worked for the pharmacy technicians to include sick time vacation time personal and holiday time and adjusts scheduling as appropriate to assure optimal patient care is maintained.
- Supervises activities relative to patient profiles and contacts ensuring that they are updated as needed for insurance verification and regulatory compliance.
- Leads and actively participates in departmental meetings and in-service training for pharmacy technicians.
- Works collaboratively with organizational personnel on quality satisfaction service excellence clinical care etc. as needed.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Normally requires Bachelor's of Science Degree or Pharm D degree from an accredited School of Pharmacy. Also requires broad training and/or experience in the fields of business administration sales marketing information technology and ambulatory/retail pharmacy. Masters Degree preferred. ASHP Accredited Residency Preferred. Normally requires zero (1) to three (3) years of directly related and progressively responsible ambulatory care pharmacy experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to work quickly and accurately under time and volume constraints
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to resolve patient issues quickly and creatively in order to improve customer satisfaction
- Familiarity with pharmaceutical products services and drug interactions
- Strong organizational skills; attention to detail
- Good analytical skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word Excel PowerPoint and Outlook
A little about us:
Where knowledge, reach and partnership shape healthcare delivery.