The Dow Chemical Company and the Houston Engineering Center has an exciting and challenging opportunity for a Process Automation Engineer within the Technical Expertise & Support for Engineering Solutions & Maintenance (TES) Department located in Houston, TX. Due to the technical requirements of this position, chemical,electrical, mechanical, and automation engineers (AE) are highly encourage to apply.
The Process Control/Automation engineer serves as a technical resource and Process Automation lead for small through large capital and improvement projects regionally and/or globally. The engineer will direct and lead both Dow and contract resources. At Dow, the Process Automation engineer will be involved in all three phases of projects; 1) front end loading (i.e. early project planning, FEL / FEED), 2) detailed design and construction, and 3) commissioning and startup.
Responsibilities for the Process Control / Automation Engineer include, but are not limited to:
- Safety is a top priority at The Dow Chemical Company. Every individual at Dow must consider safety to be his/her most important responsibility.
- The Process Automation (PA) engineer is responsible for tasks such as those listed below when equipment or instruments are being added, removed, or changed. The PA engineer is also involved in Safety Integrity Level (SIL) determination, Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS), and designing or modifying the basic process control system (BPCS). During project phases, the PA engineer works closely with chemical plant operators, manufacturing representatives, instrument engineers, process engineers, electrical engineers, vendors, and other key stakeholders. A primary responsibility for the PA engineer is designing the control strategy and control systems, as well as implementation, which is not typical within the industry.
- Establish project goals and planning
- Track progress, schedules, and costs for the PA team during all project phases
- Complete technical review of the control teams work and provide coaching / corrective feedback
- Determine testing scenarios and oversee the simulation of the control system to test the strategy and improvements
Front End Loading (Feed):
- Work with other engineers (e.g., Process Engineer, Instrument Engineer) to determine the project and control requirements
- Create the process control overview for the project
- Develop strategy for implementation of the manufacturing execution system (MES) / Production Operations Management (POM) components
- Develop user requirement specification (URS) for the system
- Estimate the process control cost and schedule for the project
- Develop functional requirement specification (FRS) for the system
- Determine the type of process control equipment and configuration to be used
- Create detailed requirement specifications (DRS)
- Conduct risk assessment and mitigation plans
- Develop control software and operator graphics
- Develop simulation software / checkout graphics and complete the factory acceptance test (FAT) Commissioning and Startup
- Document implementation / startup plan for the control strategy and specific hardware
- Work with commissioning crew to complete instrument loop checks
- Together with operations, commission the process equipment and the new control system
- Provide coverage during startup
- Assemble final process control costs associated with project
- A minimum of 2 year experience in the chemical, plastic, petrochemical, gas/oil, pharmaceuticals, pulp/paper, power/ utilities, and/or paint coatings industry is required, but prefer 5 or more years.
- Experience in executing process control projects
- Experience with problem solving / troubleshooting and data analysis.
- Highly effective initiative, teamwork, organization, communication, leadership, continuous learning, and interpersonal effectiveness
- A minimum requirement for this U.S. based position is the ability to work legally in the United States. No visa sponsorship/support is available for this position, including for any type of U.S. permanent residency (green card) process.
- Knowledge in one or more of the following: ABB industrial IT, Honeywell, Mod V, Foxboro, Delta V, Triconex, and/or Emerson distributed control systems
- Experience in developing functional requirement specifications (FRS) for chemical process equipment
- Experience working with batch and continuous operations processes
- Experience with many types of pressure, level, temperature, and flow instrumentation
- Understanding of interactions between distributed control systems (DCS), information systems (IS), supervisory control and data acquisition systems (SCADA), manufacturing execution Systems (MES), etc.
- Experience working with external contractors / engineering procurement contractors (EPC) on process automation projects
- Knowledge of safety instrumented systems (SIS)
- Bachelor's in Chemical, Electrical, Mechanical Engineering or Computer Engineering or Science with process control experience is required.
DowDuPont (NYSE: DWDP) is a holding company comprised of The Dow Chemical Company and DuPont with the intent to form strong, independent, publicly traded companies in agriculture, materials science and specialty products sectors that will lead their respective industries through productive, science-based innovation to meet the needs of customers and help solve global challenges. For more information, please visit us at www.dow-dupont.com .
The positions represented by this job posting are aligned to one of the three divisions, Agriculture, Materials Science or Specialty Products, which are expected to separate from DowDuPont into stand-alone public companies. Information on the division alignment will be provided during the recruitment process.
- Competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits
- An annual variable pay program that rewards team and individual performance while sharing success across the company
- Employee stock ownership - and the commitment to long-term success that it brings
- On-going learning opportunities within a diverse, inclusive and rewarding work environment
- Career experiences that can span different Dow businesses and functions with opportunities for personal and professional growth
- The chance to work within a global company and interact with colleagues from around the world
- Opportunities that spark your imagination and ignite your passion to help others
- Dow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Dow is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at http://www.dow.com/en-us/contact-us , you may call us at 1+800-523-3945 and select Option 1, or send a facsimile request to 1+989-636-3674.
Join the Dow team in creating innovative solutions for human progress. A career with us is an invitation to explore, create and make valuable contributions to human progress. We’re a global team of problem-solvers, impacting everything from safe bridges, to fresh food.