At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description:3M is seeking a Data Science Engineer for the Corporate Research Process Laboratory located in Woodbury, MN.Job Summary:
The Data Scientist in the Measurement and Inspection Systems group in 3M Corporate Research Process Laboratory is responsible for providing data analytics techniques to sensors, systems, lab and manufacturing processes and products. The Measurement and Inspection Systems group is responsible for designing, developing and integrating novel inspection and measurement technologies for 3M manufacturing and process/product development. This position requires working with multi-disciplinary teams and the ability to analyze a diverse range of data sets. The candidate will have a high degree of initiative to develop and execute a project plan and must have the ability to identify and propose new project opportunities and set directions for creating a technology platform based on data analytics. The Data Scientist position will contribute to the development of new measurement and inspection capabilities in support of the complete range of 3M products and processes. The candidate must have superior inter-personnel skills, be able to inspire and motivate team members, and influence the invention of new technologies that impact 3M businesses.Primary Responsibilities
include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide and/or develop cutting edge data analytics such as: predictive modeling, statistics, machine learning, data mining, and other data analysis techniques to collect, explore, and extract insights from structured and unstructured data. Other relevant areas may include: signal processing, sensors and electronics, probabilistic inference, and/or computational statistics, 3D computer vision (acquisition, segmentation, registration, classification), deep learning, analysis and reduction of high-dimensional data.
- Lead projects in machine learning, data mining, signal processing, sensors and electronics, probabilistic inference, and/or computational statistics.
- Query databases, extract raw data, develop and implement data transforms and analysis.
- Create highly custom algorithms seeking to capitalize on value in various datasets; images, time series and multivariate inputs. Implement relevant and valuable computational algorithms in software that support 3M businesses.
- Collaborate with a team of physicists, engineers, chemists on both theoretical and practical projects that will use his/her scientific, mathematical and computational skills to drive new-to-the-world technology development and introduction.
- Provide strong understanding of internal business segment (stakeholders) and possess strong written and communication skills. Present results in a clear and concise manner to multidisciplinary teams and management, making recommendations for change and extending capability by implementing potential advancements.
- Create examples, prototypes and demonstrations and documenting intellectual property
- Master's Degree or higher from an accredited institution
- Minimum of three (3) years of data analytics experience (e.g. predictive modeling, statistics, machine learning, data mining)
- Experience in machine learning and statistical algorithm development
- Experience in computer or scientific programming
- PhD in Data or Computer Sciences, Statistics, Applied Math, or an Engineering discipline.
- Minimum of six (6) years demonstrated expertise in at least two of the following data technologies: data analysis, data mining, machine learning, data science, statistical algorithm development for pattern recognition or predictive models.
- Minimum of five (5) years of expertise in programming in at least one of the following languages: R, Python, Matlab, C++, C#
- Minimum of one (1) year of computer vision and image/signal processing experience in academia, industry, or national lab environment.
- High level of independence and initiative, demonstrated ability to identify project opportunities, and a proven track records of driving changes & solutions
: Woodbury, MNTravel:
May include up to 10% domestic/internationalRelocation Benefits:
Are authorized for this position
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
Innovation is a way of life at 3M. We solve problems by applying creativity, team work and ingenuity to improve life for millions of people worldwide.