Job Description: Position Description:
- The Sr. Process Development Engineer develops, executes, and evaluates processes and manufacturing methods for Li-Ion battery cells. Primary processing areas include mixing, coating, drying, and electrolyte filling.
- The team member must operate with a good working knowledge of the chemical processes, equipment, exposure/safety protocols, and process control methods.
- The role interacts heavily with other teams, including the electro-chemical design team, the manufacturing engineering equipment team, and the manufacturing operations team. Responsibilities include R&D trials and evaluations, equipment specification and commissioning, process capability and stabilization, and hands-on support of builds, trials, and equipment qualifications.
- Scope of position covers the following: (1) Chemical Engineering, (2) Process Controls (3) Material & Process diagnostics, (5) Equipment maintenance & PMs, (6) Trial runs
- Competency in the methods, procedures, and interpretation of results using Design of Experiments, Quality Assurance, Control Charting, and Six Sigma activities is desirable.
- Oversees the development and execution of chemical processing at the JCI Battery Technology Center. Primary process include mixing, coating, drying, and filling for Li-Ion battery development.
- Active, hands-on participation in trial run and build activities. Expectations are 40% hands-on participation for on the floor activities and 60% office work.
- Design and execute DOEs for new materials and process optimization.
- Monitoring, Recording, and Reporting of run data for all development activities.
- Report out of project progress, trial results, and future schedules to management and extended teams.
- Ensures product designs, manufacturing processes, and equipment specifications are developed with the highest capability for future production implementation.
- Equipment specification, sourcing, installation, and prove-out for machinery and processes being installed into production sites.
- Creation of PFMEA, Control Plans, Process Monitoring and other related documentation.
- Continuous Improvement activities and quality problem solving activities for both the R&D sites and the production sites.
- Support training and development for team members and area technicians.
- Closely interact with both the Development teams (Milwaukee) and the Manufacturing Engineering team (Holland) on new products, product changes and verification, trial runs and DOEs.
- Understanding and environmental control for nano-particle inhalation protection, hazardous materials and training to insure proper procedures are followed and enforced.
- Interface and present to internal and external customers.
- Milwaukee, WI. Johnson Controls Battery Technology Center.
Travel expectation is minimal, but availability to travel up to 25% travel is required. Travel may be domestic or international as required for site visits, vender interactions, equipment run-offs, and equipment installs Job Qualifications: Qualifications:
- BS in Chemical, Manufacturing, or Industrial Engineering.
- 5+ years job experience in a related processing industry.
- Previous experience in: mixing, thin film coating, material drying, web handling, and filling/metering required
- Experience with Li-Ion battery manufacturing and/or development preferred.
- Able to work in clean/dry rooms with chemicals and required protective gear.
- Able to develop, follow, and propagate proper chemical handling and exposure control protocols.
- Experience with automotive industry and quality standards is preferred. Including: AIAG, APQP, PPAP, ISO/TS
- Analytical analysis such as Six Sigma, Kepner-Tregoe, and Robust Engineering is preferred.
- Quality systems experience such as ISO/TS certification, SPC, MSA/Gage-R&R, and capability analysis is preferred
A little about us:
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries.