DePuy Synthes is a Johnson & Johnson company that is one of the leaders in the medical device industry. Our implants and instruments are used by orthopaedic surgeons to treat patients with conditions resulting from traumatic injuries, degenerative diseases, deformities, and sports related injuries. Our environment is entrepreneurial, learning-driven, and is as challenging as it is rewarding.
DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is the largest, most innovative and comprehensive orthopaedic and neurological business in the world. DePuy Synthes Companies will offer an unparalleled breadth and depth of products, services and programs in the areas of joint reconstruction, trauma, spine, sports medicine, neurological, craniomaxillofacial, power tools and biomaterials. Building on the legacy and strengths of two great companies, we are creating one organization that will be agile and better equipped in today's evolving health care environment. With a focus on activating insights to develop innovative, comprehensive solutions, we are inspired to advance patient care in greater ways than either company could accomplish on its own.
The purpose of this role is to lead and manage the Process Engineering and Maintenance Teams within budget and to plan, using best practice technologies, innovation, and people development. This role manages the assigned manufacturing and maintenance operations in the areas of daily process support and development as well as ongoing and strategic maintenance. This role includes duties associated with sustaining engineering support of production mainly in the following two areas:
- Supports the daily needs of the assigned manufacturing area in terms of meeting the requirements for safety, quality, compliance, capacity, availability and cost as part of the sustaining engineering function.
- Supports the daily and strategic needs of the site in terms of ongoing and preventive maintenance in order to minimize equipment down-time, ensure equipment process stability and manage assets.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Organization & Talent Development
- Manages the process engineering team consisting of manufacturing engineers and engineering technicians as well as the maintenance team consisting maintenance technicians. Maintenance and/or engineering supervisors may be included in the teams.
- Develops and implements the departmental goals and objectives of the process engineering and equipment maintenance functions in line with the site level goals and objectives
- Allocates proper resources to facilitate attainment of project goals within established timelines and budgets and monitors execution of plans.
- Leads organizational development and improvement for the process engineering and maintenance function to be able to meet business needs.
- Responsible for employee talent development. This includes but is not limited to performance management and development and identification of training needs.
- Supports cross functional teams to drive business and organizational results in the area of responsibility.
- Creates and maintains an environment of innovative management and continuous improvement, focusing on quality, cost reduction, process development, and supply.
- Develops departmental metrics to align with the business metrics of the site.
- Promotes effective research and identification of engineering solutions (internet, magazines, visits of other facilities, exhibitions, etc.) along with further education to identify gaps in the departmental capabilities and to find new ideas and develop strategic skills needed to ensure readiness for future technological and organizational trends.
- Ensures all engineering employees adopt and live the behavioral standards of Our Credo.
- Ensures associates are rewarded and recognized for their work on specific projects and provides guidance and coaching, as appropriate.
Business Results & Performance
- Ensures departmental compliance with all government and company regulations, policies, Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), and Work Instructions in support of quality, regulatory compliance, health, safety and environmental requirements.
- Ensures regular communication of business performance/issues to relevant employees.
- Actively promotes proactive Health & Safety within the process engineering and maintenance functions.
- Collaborates with engineering leadership team to ensure departmental budget and capital investments for the site are managed within budget.
- Manages, develops and leads departmental staff in a manner that will facilitate successful project execution, to achieve the desired results in order to fulfill and improve on departmental performance objectives and relevant metrics.
- Effectively utilizes applicable resource and activity planning systems ( e.g. Maximo) to meet and document process requirements, preventive maintenance needs in order to facilitate risk based equipment replacement strategies and proactive process maintenance.
Collaboration & Team Work
- Works as a strategic partner with all other departments to maintain efficient communication and ensure alignment to site and company level objectives and project prioritization.
- Provides leadership within the process engineering and maintenance functions that will encourage efficient communication and team work.
- Ensures there is close collaboration between associates in Engineering, Product Development, Supply Chain Operations (MAKE, PP&L, etc), Regulatory, Quality, etc. when introducing new products and / or making product or process changes.
- Actively participates in or leads activities associated to the DePuy Synthes Engineering Cluster, MD&D Engineering Initiatives and CoEs, Virtual Teams, and Corporate Maintenance initiatives.
- Appropriately escalates people, process, and product related issues ensuring adherence to appropriate communication practices and inclusion of all relevant functions.
- Provides engineering advice and assistance to other departments and operating companies as needed.
SPECIFIC FUNCTIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plans, schedules, and manages the process engineering team project as well as the maintenance activities, ensuring all initiatives adhere to good engineering and documentation practices, are appropriately staffed, are run within budget, and are aligned with prioritization and strategy on a site and cluster level.
- Responsible for overall department strategy development outlining technological, organizational and cross-functional needs in alignment with site and cluster level strategic goals, technological guidelines, and organizational models.
- Provides leadership to their team in troubleshooting day-to-day problems, discrepancies, and investigations of non-conformances.
- Ensures process and equipment readiness and capability to meet scheduled production demand.
- Ensures adherence to the relevant safety requirements for equipment and processes and define, coordinate, and execute corrective actions involving the relevant internal and external resources.
- Participates in the development of the capital investment plans for the business considering strategic needs as well as needs based on equipment lifecycle following a risk based approach, driving cost improvements while meeting capacity needs.
- Accountable for the development of SOP's, Work Instruction, and other control processes or practices as it pertains to the area of responsibility.
- Ensures adequate documentation, project management and capturing of lessons learned for projects within the department using standardized templates and/or appropriate software applications.
- Ensures adequate documentation and management of maintenance activities allowing for structured identification of systemic issues and high risk areas, using standardized templates and/or appropriate software applications.
- Ensures utilization of appropriate engineering principles and standard strategies as e.g. Lean and 5S principles when implementing improvements of existing manufacturing processes.
- Ensures adequate and consistent development of user requirement specifications for new equipment and processes for new capital projects using standard templates following applicable EHS&S and legal requirements.
- Ensures consistent development and review of business cases and financial justification for all continuous improvement programs and capital investment projects in adherence to internal, franchise, and J&J requirements.
- Ensures cycle times of the manufacturing processes are correctly documented and processes are in place to review and verify on a routine basis.
- Ensures adherence to GxP principles in the development of tooling, fixtures and machining solutions in order to provide cost effective solutions and a safe working environment.
- Ensures efficient utilization of human and other natural and technical resources when defining new technical solutions to offset generally increasing cost.
- Ensures adherence to applicable risk management practices when introducing new products and/or processes.
- Assists with and follows up on addressing internal and external audit findings making sure open action items are given appropriate priority and are addressed as needed.
- May act as a technical reference or lead special projects for areas of expertise as needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, engineering, or related discipline required
- Advanced Degree preferred
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in an operations/engineering role is required.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in manufacturing engineering is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a leadership role is required.
- Proven history of leading continuous improvement projects and programs is required.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills with the ability to prioritize, schedule and follow-up to ensure successful accomplishment of established strategies, project portfolios, goals, and objectives is required.
- Strong written and verbal communication and computer skills is required.
- A proven track record of motivating teams, team building, and employee involvement is required
- Previous experience within the Healthcare/Medical Devices Sector is required
- Experience in CAPA, risk assessment, and process validation is required.
- Certification in Six Sigma and Lean is preferred.
- This position is located in Monument CO, may require up to 20 % domestic/international travel.
DePuySynthes Products Inc (6149)Job Function
Engineering (Generalist)Requisition ID
A little about us:
Johnson & Johnson cares for the world - bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.