Ace designers are a rare breed. So are banks that are amazing to work for.
Fortunately, we’ve got both in spades here at Capital One. So maybe you should join us.
But heads-up, it’s only going to be a great fit if you’re a little bit of all these things:
- Customer Advocate: People who experience our designs should feel like we really know them. That’s possible when we keep our customers (and people who aren’t yet our customers) at the core of all our designs.
- Design Thinker: You’ll uncover real business problems, prototype low-fidelity ways of solving that problem, and then design full-scale experiences that serve millions of people every. single. day.
- Interaction Designer: Your designs are fun to use. People say, “Huh, that was easy,” without you having to explain anything to them.
- Visual Designer: You know how to create beautiful things, but more importantly, you’re brave enough to cut everything if it’s not working. Simplicity, editing, and a fierce focus on the most important elements is part of what defines your design philosophy.
- Entrepreneur: You’ll think about your designs as a business; it needs a purpose—whether to solve a problem, entertain, educate, or delight—and you’ll measure its performance against these goals.
- Data Scientist: You’ll seek out analytics and user testing data to help you make design decisions, support your design decisions, and iterate on your past design decisions – all so we constantly get better at getting better.
A year from now, we’ll be having a conversation about how awesome your first year was if you:
- Work hard to design the most personal experiences people have ever seen
- Teach the team what you know, and also be humble enough to learn from others
- Use data to your advantage, and test the heck out of just about everything – whether on low-fidelity prototypes or high-fidelity designs
- Recognize the people around you when they’ve done something exceptional (because the same will happen to you)
- Measure how well your designs are performing by being specific and purposeful in your work – your brain never stops asking the question “Why are we doing this again?” and you don’t rest until you’ve answered it
- Didn’t need constant supervision, reminders, or self-assurances – we’re all motivated, organized, self-starters
This role will work directly to shape the Capital One café experience through a wide portfolio of products and services. You should be as comfortable with working with product owners and technology teams as you are in concepting for customer-associate interaction, physical space design and large and small scale touchscreen experiences.
Here are some words that shouldn’t freak you out: Adobe CC, Sketch, Web and Mobile product design, concept generation, 5 years experience.
And here are three reasons why you might want to apply:
1. You want to be on a team full of practical people who want to do the best design of their lives AND not work more than a regular person should
2. You are too good to NOT be designing for millions of people who need your help everyday to understand, access, and manage their money better
3. You want to do your part to change banking for good
Standard rates apply (i.e., free healthy snacks, infinite coffee + drinks, adjustable-height desks, Mac everything, foosball etc.).
- High School Diploma, GED, equivalent certification, or military experience
- At least 3 years of experience with user experience (UX) design
- Bachelor’s Degree in Design or Bachelor’s Degree in Human-Computer Interaction
- 7+ years of experience with user experience (UX) design
- 7+ years of experience designing digital products or 7+ years of experience designing omni-channel services
- 3+ years of experience with information architecture
- 3+ years of experience with prototyping tools
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.