PRODUCT ENGINEER SPECIALIST - GRAINGER GLOBAL SOURCING Company Information:
Grainger is a global leading broad line supplier of facilities maintenance products serving businesses and institutions. Our 22,000 employees are driven to serve customers and the community in exceptional ways focusing on delivering the highest level of service. The Grainger team works closely with customers to better understand their challenges and provide cost-saving solutions. Grainger's employees serve customers more than 115,000 times every day through multiple channels MAJOR PURPOSES
- Perform in-depth product evaluations and testing for the motor and power transmission portfolio of products to ensure compliance with all quality, performance, safety and reliability specifications and standards
- Provide prompt SME (subject matter expert) technical support for all technical inquiries that arise from internal and external customers. Product inquiries may come from a variety of channels such as Click & Finds, the telephone, e-mail, etc.
- Initiate product QARs (quality action requests) when appropriate. Review and approve suppliers' responses to product QARs.
- Work with product team and suppliers in the implementation of product improvements and corrective actions.
- Utilize allocated resources efficiently to complete tasks on time and on budget.
- Evaluate and analyze new and existing products for compliance with performance, quality, reliability and safety specifications and standards.
- Determine root cause of warranty returns by analyzing returned product.
- Provide corrective action recommendations for product improvement based on findings of testing and evaluation.
- Generate accurate and thorough product evaluation reports, technical specifications and QA sheets.
- Provide recommendations for engineering test equipment and supplies.
- Ensure strategies set forth by engineering management meet program requirements and deadlines.
- Perform tests and conduct product comparison testing in order to recommend product improvements, technology improvements or cost saving opportunities as directed by senior management staff.
- Provide technical expertise with accurate and timely data collection and testing.
- Support Value Engineering efforts to drive down product cost while maintaining product quality and reliability expectations. Perform associated testing and data collection.
- Generate continuous improvement processes and procedures to achieve productivity gains in support of strategies that contribute to Grainger's quality policy.
- Assist with presentations for cross functional groups in product training and education.
- Initiate and support product maintenance activities as required and directed by engineering management.
- Create product specific test protocols and test fixtures for the testing and evaluation of motors and power transmission products.
- Communicate and interface effectively with Product Management, Procurement, Supplier Quality Engineers, and supplier personnel regarding all product portfolio matters.
- Provide SQE with guidance in obtaining and reviewing technical product specifications and information from suppliers.
- Initiate production sample inspections, factory audits and factory process audits.
- Approve production samples based upon technical specifications and quality assurance documents.
- Review technical documents such as Owner's Manuals, Product Bulletins, catalog copy, product nameplates and package labeling for content and safety information,.
- Assist in the preparation of samples and technical sales presentation material for product line reviews, patent reviews, and for GGS customers to make final purchasing decisions. Prepare samples for shipment.
IMPACT ON THE ORGANIZATION
- A Bachelor's or Associate's degree in a technical discipline is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant work experience in a similar capacity will be considered in lieu of a degree. Electrical, mechanical or chemical engineering areas of study are preferred.
- Diverse work experience background that is inclusive of all of the following areas: Manufacturing, Quality Assurance, and Field Service is required.
- Must have a critical eye for quality.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Ability to understand electro-mechanical products along with technical documents, materials, ideas, and issues.
- Able to implement a personal development plan focused on reinforcing strengths, overcoming weaknesses, and developing a balance of new skills applicable to engineering and GGS business activities.
- Redirects attention effectively to new and different priorities as directed by senior staff.
- Proven engineering skills are required in product analysis and failures, technical problem solving, and multi-tasking.
- Strong communication skills, willingness to work in a team environment and a keen sense of urgency in completing tasks. Confident expression of technical product matters with peers and all levels of management.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
- Ability to procure, read, understand and interpret technical reports, wiring diagrams, specifications and test data.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of various hand tools, power tools and test equipment meters.
- Able to travel 10-15% of time.
This position provides complete technical support for the GGS Motors and Power Transmission Product portfolio in order to meet and exceed customer expectations. WORK RELATIONSHIPS
Reports to the Category or Compliance Engineering Manager
Sales & Product Management: Product Evaluations, Competitive Analysis, Comparison Testing, Technical Support.
Operations: Quality Specifications, Quality Audits, and Warranty Return Analysis
Engineering Services: Shared lab space
Regulatory: Agency and Environmental Compliance
Application assistance, product selection and troubleshooting support for motor and power transmission product categories.
New and existing product evaluations. Field return analysis and quality audit examination results.
Third Party Testing : Review test reports and consult with the product team regarding 3 rd party test results. Coordinate activities for on-site supplier assessments.
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
A little about us:
Grainger helps customers save time and money by providing them the right products to keep their facilities up and running.