Location: Granville, Ohio - United States PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Product Engineer is key to growing OC's and our customers business through driving the use and continuous development of OC's Synthetics product portfolio. This position plays a key role in product and process development, customer technical support, applications support and expansion, validating customer fitness for use requirements and driving productivity within the product line.
The Product Engineer will work closely with other technical teams, manufacturing teams and business and operational managers. The Product Engineer will serve as the product technical leader for these teams.
Join an organization that believes that every employee owns a piece of our bold growth goals and ultimate success. We are a market-leading innovator that has placed on the Fortune 500®. Owens Corning is devoted to delivering sustainable solutions across our three business segments while striving to ensure our people and products make the world a better place. We take pride in having an inclusive and diverse workplace with employees around the globe. A holistic sense of community exists across our entire organization as our talent grows globally. We are a company that fully recognizes the importance of paving a path to a sustainable and safe enterprise through investing in our people. Our desire to make an impactful difference in the world flows from top down to all levels of the organization. By being a company that instills pride within each and every employee, we aspire to build market-leading businesses; global in scope - human in scale.Reports to
: Synthetics Science & Technology LeaderSpan of Control
: JOB RESPONSIBILITIES Demonstrates a commitment to safety
- Actively participates in team safety meetings, hazard identification, and training.
- Ensures rigorous compliance to standard safety procedures and OC corporate policies.
- Ensures all products and applications meet and maintain all requirements for safety and liability.Leads all product technical requirements
- Develops a working relationship with the customer, business and manufacturing plants for the product lines of responsibility.
- Aligns customer needs with product specification, manufacturing specifications and machine process capability.
- Develop test methods and control plant to measure product and process characteristics to align with customer needs and specifications.
- Coordinates plant trials and customer and/or field visits to understand fitness for use criteria and validate current product designs and specifications
- Monitors and communicates market, customer and competitive activity to the plants, S+T teams and the business.
- Provides expertise regarding the relationship between customer needs, process opportunities and product development opportunities.
Executes effective project deliverables
- Develops and implements new recipes that provide step-change quality or productivity improvements for manufacturing.Develops new synthetics materials and manufacturing capabilities
- Leads the product and relevant materials and process development portfolio for the product line of responsibility.
- Personally manages and executes all line extension, customization and other iterative development efforts.
- Identifies and recommends opportunities for improved cost or product performance from a materials perspective.
- Monitors the marketplace to identify and react to changes such as competitive activity, customer process changes, code and regulatory requirements, and the emergence of new technologies.
- Manages projects that result in new or changed (i,e. new product development, enhanced product performance, productivity initiatives...).
- Adheres to stage-gate activities and drives outcomes.
- Mitigates all risks through proper activities and communications.Applies relevant understanding of industry and technology trends
- Partners with Intellectual Property team to understand the competitive landscape and define opportunities and/or threats.
- Spots trends and provides insight, expertise and education on technology developments and industry best practices.
- Delivers technical presentations at company meetings, technical conferences, and customer/partner facilities.Fosters sharing and a team environment.
JOB REQUIREMENTSMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Teams with other professionals to share knowledge, develop, and implement ideas.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- MS/PhD in Engineering, Science or BS with demonstrated process improvement success within product technical management and development.
- 5+ years experience in product design, product line leadership, customer technical support or manufacturing technical support
- This position requires ~30% travel, international travel is a requirement.PREFERRED EXPERIENCE:
- Demonstrated use of fundamental engineering and business principles to deliver process innovations
- Demonstrated ability to generate new and innovative product designs/improvements in continuous manufacturing processes
- Demonstrated ability to develop and meet key milestones, to work and communicate effectively with people at all levels within the organization, and to technically contribute to the development of solutions.
- Strong communication skills with demonstrated proficiency in customer and vendor management.
*LI-NM1 About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company's market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 16,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 62 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com .A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we'll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
Founded in 1938, Owens Corning is a market-leading innovator of glass-fiber technology