Summary of Position:
The Product Engineer e ffectively manages product design projects to assure timely completion within marketing, manufacturing and cost parameters. This position is based in Grand Rapids, MI, and reports to a Director of Engineering and New Product Development in our Hart Cooley Product Engineering department.
- Responsible for the successful completion of product design projects from concept to completion within schedule, cost and design parameters.
- Design new products or redesign existing products as assigned and build prototypes.
- Develop test protocols and build test apparatuses as needed to reliably evaluate or quantify performance of new or existing products.
- Create written test reports which document test setups, test specimen type and configuration, test data, and any other technical information regarding the test being performed.
- Gain safety certifications (UL) or other approvals as required. Evaluate deviations to standards.
- Coordinate scheduling and communication with other departments.
- Work with outside suppliers as necessary.
- Assure necessary product documentation (drawings, B.O.M.).
- Assist manufacturing and tooling on equipment selection.
- Provide technical assistance to Inside Sales and Customer Service on full product line.
- Provide applications, usage, and systems design training and technical assistance to sales force, customers and product managers as needed.
- Work with local inspection agencies for product approval.
- Review publication of technical literature such as catalog data, engineering news bulletin and installation instructions.
- Give product demonstrations.
- Conduct value analysis and relay conceptual design information.
- Monitor competitive product development.
- Evaluate and redesign products for improved process, quality and profitability.
- Assist quality control effort with technical advice and up-to-date specifications on matters pertaining to delivered quality.
- Provide follow-up service on field complaints.
- Perform duties with reduction in product liability in mind.
- Maintain responsibility for product design beyond production release.
- Support and participate in cost reduction projects.
- BSME degree with engineering design experience.
- Knowledgeable in fluid flow and heat transfer principles.
- 4 years of experience in the HVAC industry and at least 1 year of experience in design of flex duct and sheet metal products is required.
- Must be personable in dealing with customers and be comfortable with conducting training activities and some public speaking.
A little about us:
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries.