Cummins is a place big enough to coach and develop a global workforce and create the world's leading clean, engine technology. We're also small enough for you to find your fit and personal passion with a team of dependable, innovative thinkers who are developing their careers within a diverse, inclusive, empowering environment.
Learn more about this role and how you can begin Working Right .
Our Engine Business Unit delivers reliable, durable, high performing products to our global partners. Working in an innovative space, you'll develop high tech solutions that will fuel your advanced career skill set and empower you to own your career. Our integrated businesses demand the talents and creativity of individuals with a wide range of skills and experience.
This is an exciting opportunity in Columbus, Indiana for a Product Improvement Engineer. Cummins is where you can work on engineering projects to support our current line of products to meet and exceed reliability targets and customer expectations to reinforce our position as a global leader in the diesel engines.
Your impact will happen in these and other ways:
- Applies knowledge of engineering principles and practices to assigned tasks in the design, development, analysis and release of products and subsystems through the product life cycle.
- Assists in updating design specifications considering application, cost, weight, performance, product life, manufacture, assembly, Reliability and service.
- Verifies design using analysis and or functional testing, interprets results, drives decisions and assesses risk. Works with other engineering disciplines and cross-functional disciplines to resolve product issues.
- Evaluates customer needs and aligns requirements with identified customer expectations.
- Participates as a team member and actively contributes towards team goals.
- Carries out partially defined and moderately complex tasks.
- Demonstrates good understanding and applies knowledge of an engineering discipline.
- Applies engineering and/or scientific skills and continues to develop experience in creating engineering solutions.
Along with qualifications, competencies and job responsibilities of a product validation engineer, in CPS Engineering we also combine this function with service engineering. Team members will be assigned component responsibility within the L and B engine platform base engine team. Team members will be responsible for maintaining service literature for their component sets. Supporting projects relevant to their components and problem definition issue identification. This can include leading cross functional field investigations and direct tech support to active repairs events. This service engineering support is around 20-30% of work, with the majority of the work leading cross functional problem solving engineering projects to solve complex product issues and implement solutions. Skills and Experience Required: Skills
Laboratory Operations - Ability to plan appropriate validation testing & work with laboratory/test facility personnel to ensure robust validation testing is completed effectively.
Engineering Standards - Demonstrate understanding and use of engineering standards to aid completion of work tasks & projects.
Technical Documentation - Demonstrate appropriate level of technical documentation to ensure work is well documented & reported for future reference.
7 Step Product Problem Solving Process - Able to understand and apply the 7-step process to solve a problem including incorporating Fault Tree Analysis into the process the 7-step Problem Solving Process.
Design Verification Plan & Report (DVP&R) - Understands the purpose, content, steps in developing/ managing of a Design Verification Plan & Report (DVP&R). Required Education, Licenses or Certifications
• Bachelor of Science (or equivalent degree) in Engineering required.
• Previous internships and/or work experience in a related field or industry is a plus. Compensation and Benefits
Base salary rate commensurate with experience. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits. Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity to start your career with Cummins today. careers.cummins.com
Not ready to apply but want to learn more? Join our Talent Community to get the inside track on great jobs and confidentially connect to our recruiting team: http://connect.find.ly/cummins
No, this isn't one of those ordinary jobs.