Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and multi industrial leader serving a wide range of customers in more than 150 countries. Our 117,000 employees create intelligent buildings, efficient energy solutions, integrated infrastructure and next generation transportation systems that work seamlessly together to deliver on the promise of smart cities and communities. Our commitment to sustainability dates back to our roots in 1885, with the invention of the first electric room thermostat. We are committed to helping our customers win and creating greater value for all of our stakeholders through strategic focus on our buildings and energy growth platforms.
Scott Safety is a well-established, leading brand in the Life Safety Industry with revenue of approximately $600 million dollars and 1100 employees with five manufacturing sites. Scott Safety specializes in respiratory protection devices including self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), gas and flame detection products and personal protective equipment (PPE). Main end use markets include Fire Services, Military and Civil Defense, Petro-Chemical Oil and Gas, Marine and general industrial markets. Summary
This is a key position on the Marketing team responsible for managing the Americas Industrial compressed air escape; airline fed breathing apparatus and M&CD and government respiratory protection product portfolio. This will involve developing the ranges product strategy in accordance with the business plan and providing product support to the business. You will have end-to-end responsibility for your range and its P&L including opportunity driven definition of new product offerings and driving requirements for improvements to the existing product portfolio. A successful candidate will have a strong grasp of marketing concepts with strong product management experience and an ability to champion marketing requirements and programs within cross-functional teams consisting of engineering (both development and sustaining), sales, training, manufacturing, purchasing, distribution, quality assurance and other required parties. An effective candidate in this position will have strong communications skills, and lead messaging around the value proposition for all products within the product line. Job Responsibilities:
• Develop understanding of markets and Voice of the Customer (VOC), ability to analyse and report back VOC effectively and translate into actionable requirements.
• Develop the overall Americas product strategy and roadmaps for the range, in line with the business objectives.
• Capture and analyse competitor information in conjunction with regional and global marketing teams.
• Produce competitor benchmark documents and competitive pricing analysis
• Manage Sales Support Requests for new product variants through the business
• Work with global New Product Development (NPD) teams to develop new products in line with customer requirements through the product development process insuring the product is completed on time, on budget and as specified
• Rationalize product range in line with business objectives
• Develop pricing strategies with global sales teams for approval by appropriate management
• Manage list pricing in Baan/Salesforce
• Work with Technical Support to develop a cohesive technical support and product training program
• Support Customer Services and external sales with product queries and requirements for key customer presentations.
• Subject matter expert to support sales organization, channel partners, and users.
• Provide support for sales exhibitions
• Work with Marketing Communications team to develop sales literature, advertising campaigns and develop launch material and project plans for NPD introductions. Produce Technical Data Sheets and Product Bulletins to inform customers of product changes.
• Work with Operations teams to support business Delivery On Time targets and expectations
• Support global sales plans to assist in meeting sales revenue and profit (EBIT) targets
• Manage article creation process and relevant SKU master data in ERP systems
• Assist in the management of the cost base for the product range
• Contribute to and work within the Scott business plan and strategy.
• Communicate and present marketing plans, product roadmaps and status updates to sales team, senior leadership, partners and customers.
• Represent Scott on appropriate National and International Technical Committees
• Portfolio Management to ensure optimal product/offering mix and competitiveness (including contract management, pricing, SKU rationalization, cost reduction programs, etc.)
• Assist in the development of sales support and enablement materials.
• Work with customer (distributor and end-user) and sales team to problem solve and promote the product
• Any other duties commensurate with the role.
• Travel expectation is approximately 25% (10 - 12 weeks per year) including international travel.
Competencies & Skills
• New Product Commercialization
• Product Portfolio Management
• Strong communication and presentation skills
• Product Strategy Development
• Customer Focus
• Cross Functional Team Leadership
• Champions Integrity and Trust
• Champion Ethics
• Fundamental Marketing Principles
• Skills in Pricing and Financial analysisJob Qualifications: Required Job Skills
- Product management leadership experience,
- Experience working with Industrial customers, Governments, Military/Security professionals or consulting firms within the market verticals like Military, Maritime, Emergency Preparedness, Law Enforcement/Security & Policing and/or Chemical, Biological, Radiation, Nuclear (CBRN) markets a plus.
- Familiarity with NIOSH regulations as it relates to APR, SCBA, SAR, PAPR, Filters and CBRN applications.
- Development of product requirements and specifications documents.
- Collection and analysis of customer insights and requirements, using tools such as Voice of the Customer (VOC, VOB, etc)
- Understanding of the global M&CD customer base and their requirements.
- Competitive product reviews, development and articulation of product value proposition
- Use of innovative communications tools to deliver educational and promotional messages to customers and channel partners.
- Experience with marketing technical products.
- Experience with respiratory protection a strong plus.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree is required (Engineering, Computer Science or Business preferred). MBA preferred.
- 5 Years of Product Management experience or 10 years of experience working with technical products is required.
- Experience working with Military and Civil Defense products or services or respiratory protection equipment preferred.
- This role may require overseas travel and security clearance vetting.
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries.