Responsible for managing an IT operations group in one or more of the following areas: systems analysis and development, programming, governance, database design or IT engineering Direct the development and maintenance of timeliness and quality standards for all aspects of the IT operations area managed. Oversee projects and manage staff workload to meet deliverables to internal and external customers. May plan and coordinate the evaluation and effectiveness of existing applications/systems/databases and the feasibility and potential value of new technologies.
Manage the mission and operational priorities of a department or functional area that may include one or more supervisors or are responsible for a unique specialty area of expertise in the organization. Translate objectives into short-term assignments, processes and measures. Communicate what is to be accomplished and coordinate/integrate activities to achieve overall achievement of goals. Develop short-term department and individual associate goals and review progress. Function as a subject matter expert and utilize expertise to incorporate, understand, and blend the functions of other operational areas to make decisions and recommendations.
- Planning: Clarify business plan by formulating specific department goals. Establish goals and priorities for staff/area of responsibility consistent with departmental objectives. Ensure deliverables are on target with goals, make modifications and adapt to changes in organizational goals or direction. May be responsible for team formations and associated assignments to accomplish work. Review accomplishments and direct progress toward goals. May participate in developing longer-term goals with upper management.
- Process Management: Align processes with department goals. Review information and take corrective action to maintain service levels and deliverables. Benchmark best practices and integrate in to existing processes. May define overall work processes for group's tasks and identify better ways to perform work.
- Financial Expense: Operate within a pre-established budget. Control costs by managing internal resources and containing expenses. Assesses resource needs (materials, tools, information) and allocate in accordance with budget. Review expenses and prepares approval request within authority. Have input in to future budget recommendations with senior management.
- Communication: Articulate the interface between business objectives and departmental product and service goals. Develop processes for the production of management reports, statistics, performance measures, etc.. Provide continual, constructive feedback on performance results against departmental goals to senior management.
- Mentoring: Define the specific achievement levels needed for department success. May establish baseline expectations, monitor results and encourage group toward high level performance. Select applicant’s with the appropriate skills required to perform group's functions. Establish accountabilities consistent with department's goals. Appraise performance against accountabilities and assesses development opportunities. Establish an environment where staff learns to be self-sufficient, competent and challenged. Coach and monitor staff in continuous performance, improvement and development.
- Performs other related duties and participates in special projects as assigned.
A little about us:
Join a company changing the fast-moving world of communications, where people like, link, pin, post and share. At RR Donnelley, we do it all.