- Maintain current NRTL (TUV, UL) and CE product certification approvals. Interact directly with regulatory agencies.
- Acquire NRTL and CE certification on new products.
- Develop and execute test plans leading to product certification. Coordinate and manage tasks, schedules and due dates related to product certifications.
- Maintain and enhance TUV Supervised Manufacturer's Testing (SMT) program.
- Compile and maintain compliance documentation in a Technical Construction File.
- Provide regulatory certificates and reports to field personnel, customers, and import/export organizations.
- Participate in product development teams to assure product safety compliance during the design phase. Identify compliance issues and recommend solutions prior to product release.
- Develop and maintain lab and compliance work instructions, procedures and checklists.
- Analyze circuit board layouts for compliance with safety regulations including creepage and clearance, flammability ratings, etc.
- Investigate electrical components, materials, and mechanical components for proper ratings and compliance with safety regulations. Qualify new component and materials sources while maintaining product safety approvals.
- Perform lab tests required for demonstration of product safety such as Hi Pot Testing, voltage measurements, fault testing, impact tests, Ingress Protection (IP) Tests, etc.
- Provide training and guidance to less experienced engineers
- Experience with agency certifications and CB Scheme (e.g., TUV, UL, CSA, CE) required.
- Experience in electronic design for safety compliance
- Ability to manage projects from multiple sources and work independently to support aggressive product launch schedules
- Strong interpersonal skills desired.
- Current knowledge of the latest product safety standards and compliance requirements (e.g., EN 60950, CE Marking) including IP ratings, LED safety, UL Flame ratings, etc.
- Working knowledge of National Electrical code (NEC)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office - Word and Excel
- Ability to apply and understand advanced concepts of electrical and/or mechanical nature.
- Ability to read and analyze schematics and printed circuit board layouts. Expertise in evaluating circuit classifications and creepage and clearance according to standards.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Ability to write technical reports, communicate both orally and in writing with engineering staff and agencies.
- Ability to operate lab equipment including oscilloscopes, AC power sources, HiPot testers, current meters, power meters, etc. Education/Experience
- BS in Electrical Engineering or equivalent - BSEE preferred
- 5+ years of experience in a product safety role for office or IT type equipment. Candidate must have recent experience with product safety approval of products to IEC 60950.
- Experience with switching power supplies desirable.
A little about us:
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries.