Product Support Engineer – Cloud WSS
This position reports to the Director of the Cloud Product Support Engineer group, and works directly with Symantec customers and partners to provide world class support for Symantec Cloud Services products.
The Product Support Engineer (PSE) is responsible to provide support services and incident management reporting via email, web and telephone to Symantec's internal and external customers. Product responsibilities will cover the Cloud Web Security Service. Responsibilities include setting and managing customer expectations, timely communication, root-cause analysis, performance and process improvement, troubleshooting and resolving complex service support cases working directly with customers and partners and with the Cloud Network Operation Centers.
The PSE represents the technical interface to the customer and is responsible for diagnosis, problem replication and data collection required to assist the Network Operations Center in resolving service issues as it relates to Cloud Web Security Service. In addition this position will also provide feedback to the engineering teams to identify and improve service capabilities and will occasionally assist with QA & beta testing of new releases and service functions.
• Provide direct support for Cloud products to internal and external customers.
• Take complete ownership of reported problems and own/manage them through to their completion.
• Develop an in-depth knowledge of the product and services, their functions and diagnostic capabilities.
• Work in a fast paced support environment and provide an escalation point of contact for the Support groups.
• Use network and product diagnostic tools to analyze, document and resolve customer issues.
• Work complex proxy and networking equipment issues through to completion.
• Use knowledge based tools to research and document problems and their resolutions in a clear and concise manner.
• Use case management tools to clearly and concisely document problems; provide updates (internally and to customers) and to record resolutions.
• Work as a team member with other Product Engineers, customer support personnel, Cloud Operations and the Cloud NOC.
• Provide coaching, mentoring and sharing of knowledge through collaboration with front line Customer Support Engineers.
• Ensure personal career development through regular participation in new product and technology transfer training, through attendance at any outside seminars and training programs (external and internal) coordinated by Symantec, through self-directed exploration of available reference materials, and through seeking coaching and mentoring from management, technical experts and other senior members of the organization.
• Provide feedback to engineering on product performance, stability, quality and supportability.
• Perform QA on new product features and functions prior to their release.
• Occasional travel to customer sites to diagnose and resolve issues.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
• Expert knowledge of TCP/IP and HTTP at the packet/protocol level
• Layer 2-7 focus on Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IP protocols and applications
• Strong knowledge of protocols including but not limited to: NFS, IPSEC, SSL, FTP, DNS, ICAP, authentication protocols (NTLM, SAML, KERBEROS)
• ProxySG knowledge definitely a plus
• Active Directory experience for troubleshooting SAML/ADFS/BCCA issues
• Knowledge of streaming protocols, instant messaging, SOCKs, PKI is a plus
• Expert in analyzing packet traces of the above protocols
• Basic knowledge of Linux
• Database and RAID disk management experience
• Proficiency in understanding and troubleshooting networking issues
• Strong analytical, troubleshooting and Customer Service skills
• Solid authoring skills to document behavior, resolution and workarounds
• An understanding of general operating system structure and function
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to self direct work and work simultaneously on multiple issues
• Experience with enterprise systems/network monitoring systems
• Strong understanding of multiple routing and switching protocols
• Experience with ISP or cloud services is preferable
• 5+ years Senior Level Technical Support experience in networking/security/proxy products problem resolution at the packet and protocol level.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience in a related field
• CCNA and/or CCNP and/or CCIE and/or CCSP and/or CISSP desired.
• Ability to use network analysis tools such as Wireshark, TCPdump, and Sniffers
• Excellent working knowledge of protocols and general networking principles
• Experience in both embedded operating systems and Windows a plus.
SOFT SKILLS & PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES:
• Ability and willingness to work directly with customers on resolution of complex technical issues.
• Have an analytical mind which can apply trouble shooting skills and problem solving techniques to systemically and methodologically, create test plans, identify root cause and lead to satisfactory resolution of customer problems
• Able to evaluate information quickly, identify key issues and formulate conclusions based on sound, practical judgment, experience, and common sense.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Communicates honestly, openly, and consistently. Shares information appropriately and involves the customer in solving problems
• Must be a complete team player and work well in a team environment. Able to build productive working relationships with customers and internal personnel based on mutual respect and good rapport. Is an effective listener
• Passionate about technology with an eagerness to learn new products and technologies quickly and proficiently
• Flexible with the aptitude to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced, dynamic environment while meeting commitments and deadlines
• Strong customer orientation being proactive and positive by nature
• Maintains the highest standard of personal conduct in performing all duties
Symantec is an equal opportunity employer. All candidates for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law.