This position is responsible for reliable and timely supply of seed production in the assigned area of the NAFTA region. The incumbent will manage all aspects of safety and compliance, assigned grower relationships and contractual agreements, or other supporting activities. This position may supervise seasonal and contract employees. The position may be based at any U.S. production site under direct supervision of the Area Production manager or Field Supervisor. The role may be expanded to include additional responsibilities to support Monsanto business. Job Requirements
This position will require focus in the following areas: Safety and Compliance:
1. ESH - Promotes an environment of Behavioral Based Safety (BBS) and ensures all Monsanto ESH requirements are met fully executed and documented with the goal of "zero" recordable incidents. Ensures all employees and visitors are trained and follow established procedures. Works within team, among peers and cross-functionally to ensure best and consistent practices are embraced and results and met using metrics.
2. Compliance - Adheres to company FCPA, Business Conduct and Human Rights policies. Ensures federal, state and local compliance requirements are met, documented and reported as required.
3. Contractual Agreements - Works with growers to ensure our business needs are secure according to our production strategy and approved budgets. Reliability of Supply and Timeliness:
1. Production Data and Analysis - Works with production team to comprehensively review quantity, quality and timeliness data and addresses areas for improvement, simplification, optimization or expansion for the betterment of our business.
2. Grower Pricing Review Process - Works with peers and area production managers. Follows a standardized process to review grower pricing strategies and reduce financial exposure.
3. Crop Placement - Ensures crops are placed in a manner to meet targeted contract quality, quality and timeliness requirements.
4. Grower Relations and Contracts- Conducts face to face discussions and negotiations. Ensures best practices and maintaining a positive and vibrant grower network. Completes annual Grower Rating process based on performance and working relationships and addresses issues in a positive and professional manner. Understands the importance of grower costs are how they are effectively managed.
5. Crop Management, Harvest and Delivery - Knowledgeable of all stages of the crop cycle are how they are managed by the local production team. Ensures all production data is reported accurately, timely in SAP and FIDO and is transparent to the business. Cost Management and Control:
1. Overview -Understands concept of budgets and CAPEX activities to meet annual and LRP directives. Develops an understanding of the impact of over-production, guarantees and other contract clauses on our business.
2. Seasonal and Contract Labor - Ensures department procedures for approvals and manages costs to meet agreed targets. Understands impact of labor and cost on production.
3. Grower Payments - Understands grower payment process.
4. House Keeping - Ensures site is maintained in a professional manner at all times. Any seed, trash, materials and equipment must be disposed according to Monsanto policies and federal, state and local compliance requirements in a timely manner. Innovation and Sharing:
1. Innovation: Embraces the importance of innovation and promotes an environment of continuous improvement
2. Production Research - Works with production research personnel to identity and address project activities to improve reliability of supply. Understands how all production research is prioritized, agreed upon by the stakeholders and aligned with our regional production strategy and data is analyzed, summarized and shared.
3. Implementation - Promotes new techniques or procedures among growers and gains their acceptance. Works with internal and external stakeholders (when needed) to understand new innovated techniques and methods.
4. Sharing Best Practices - Ensures an environment of open communication among production areas and willingly shares production information within and across our regions. Transparency and Metrics:
1. Production data - Ensures all production, ESH and cost data is captured and reported in a timely and efficient manner in SAP, FIDO or other required data bases and is visible to the business.
2. Metrics - Uses metrics and targets to manage and deliver results and their relationship to our business.
QMS and Continuous Improvement - Ensures all processes and procedures are properly documented and posted as part of our QMS system.
1. QMS - Meets expectations related to ISO 9001-2001 certification, Six Sigma and LEAN activities
2. Root Cause and Corrective Action - Utilizes process of root cause analysis to review crops below or above expectations and corrective action steps needed.
3. Area Analysis - Utilizes process of area analysis and action points. Follows how issues are closed on tracking log. Skills Requirements:
- Ability to interact cross-functionally with various internal departments and external agencies to ensure Monsanto ESH and compliance requirements are met.
- Excellent communications skills including the capability to clearly present information and influence or persuade others through oral or written communications.
- The ability to communicate with different reporting levels in multi-national and cultural organization as an individual or a team.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced global and multi-cultural vegetable seed company.
- Decision making and problem solving skills. Capability to take action in solving problems while exhibiting judgment and a realistic understanding of issues.
This position will require ability in the following areas of competencies at the Intermediate Level for this role:
Relationships and Networks - Promotes an environment of inclusion for all employees; Keeps an open mind; challenges their own assumptions about different groups and people; Encourages others to develop relevant working relationships with other functional groups; Promotes collaborative relationships by discouraging "We" vs. "They" thinking.
Courage and Candor - Stands for own beliefs despite possible negative consequences; Offers objective and timely feedback to his or her manager and (if applicable) direct reports; Is sincerely open to others opinions and feedback and sees it as an opportunity to grow; Faces new opportunities and assignments with optimism and a willingness to try
Agility - Translates changes into practical implications for themselves and others; Sets an example by embracing change personally and encouraging others to do the same; Understands the corporate strategy and how each function contributes to it; Effectively senses and attends to the needs of external customers and stakeholders
Initiative and Foresight - Stays informed of developments and emerging trends in his or her field or business; Anticipates unforeseen changes and always keeps one or two contingency plans in mind; Effectively assists others with building and executing a personal development plan; Creates and shares a compelling vision of the future for his or her organization
Results Orientation - Advocates safety within his or her team and across other teams; Consistently meets or exceeds milestones and commitments; Keeps appropriate stakeholders apprised of progress towards goals; Clearly establishes realistic milestones and objectives for others Physical Requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. Employee occasionally performs repetitive keyboarding tasks. The employee is occasionally required to stand, and reach with hands and arms. Employee is also required to frequently to walk on uneven or
slippery surfaces. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to adjust focus. Education, Training and/or Experience Requirements:
- B.S. degree with 3-6 years experience seed industry with a combination of manufacturing, operational and/or production experience with emphasis on personnel development is highly desirable. Excellent human relation skills, effective oral and written communication skills required. Demonstrated supervisory abilities are critical.
- It is expected the incumbent in this role is able to effectively manage a broader range of crops and higher levels of complexity compared to the Field Production Rep I position.
- Understands or is Six Sigma / LEAN trained. Certification is highly desired at the time of hire.
- Must be able to write ISO documentation, obtain stakeholder approval of documents and conduct necessary training.
- Challenging the status quo to improve processes and the way things are done.
- PC proficiency with MS Office (Excel, Access, Power Point) and ability to demonstrate computer skills in SAP and FIDO.
- Decisions made by the incumbent
- Problem solving related to business objectives as they coincide with assigned projects
- Usage decisions on inventory issues with a major impact on sales
- Proposes business improvement plans related to quality improvement
- Implementation of assigned projects
- This position reports to the Area Production Manager and interacts with all designate levels of Manufacturing within the region.
- This position will also have work closely with other Field Production Reps and will provide critical information to all
- Bachelors Degree in Agriculture or similar field
- Minimum of 1 year of related experience and/or training
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to perform successfully in a fast-paced, dynamic, team-based environment
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents
- Willingness to travel extensively in-state; occasional regional and national travel
- Must pass a substance abuse test and background and driving record checks
Possession of a Certified State Crop consultants license is desired.
At Monsanto, we believe that diverse perspectives solve big challenges and deliver a broad range of solutions to help nourish our growing world.