Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global biopharmaceutical company whose mission is to discover, develop and deliver innovative medicines that help patients prevail over serious diseases.
One shared journey is moving us forward at Bristol-Myers Squibb. Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious disease. Empowered to apply our individual talents and ideas so that we can learn and grow together. And driven to make a difference, from innovative research to hands-on community support. Bristol-Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
The Syracuse Biologics Manufacturing operation produces clinical, commercial and launch biologics drug substance at its 5000L scale manufacturing facility (mammalian cell process) in Syracuse, NY.
This position is part of the Maintenance and Reliability Maintenance Department in Facilities and Engineering group within a highly regulated (FDA) industry. Work is performed in a state-of-the-art large scale Cell Culture and Purification facilities in classified areas. This position performs complicated & routine corrective, PM/PdM maintenance and/or operates equipment pertaining to the maintenance of clean utilities or process equipment. Completing all work in accordance with CFRs, SOPs, Job Plans, and BMS policies. This involves executing Work Orders electronically through a CMMS (Maximo) software platform.
The Production Maintenance Technician performs various "Housekeeping" after maintenance activities (i.e. keeping work areas clean, cleaning of equipment etc.). Ensures that operational log, daily log files, and work order documentation is completed daily with accurate information following good documentation practices (GDP). Completes all required training within time limits assigned. Participates in a detailed training program in order to develop one’s knowledge in the maintenance and operations field, as well as other areas of the plant.
This is an off shift position that could require 2 nd or 3 rd shift hours and weekends with “Emergency Call In” (ECI) rotation. Possible overtime, weekends and flexibility for shift change due to manufacturing support and training will be needed.
Position requires working alone and safely. Works on assignments that are moderately complex in nature where judgment is required in resolving problems and making routine recommendations.
- Creates, identifies and implements new and innovative solutions or technologies in support of continuous improvement and manufacturing optimization processes.
- Able to rebuild, repair and/or install various types of pumps, compressors, valves, agitators, gearboxes, mechanical seals and pipefitting skills.
- Abilities in fabrication and metal working.
- Strong troubleshooting skills in mechanical, pneumatics, hydraulics and basic electrical motors.
- Encourages joint solution resolution with manufacturing team members and encourages the transfer of basic technical knowledge where appropriate and applicable.
- Makes critical choices that support strategy and ultimately the end-customer.
- Communicates opinions, facts and thoughts with clarity, transparency and honesty.
- Consistently delivers on commitments.
- Works across organizational, functional and geographic boundaries to achieve company goals.
- Creates an environment that encourages continuous improvement, innovation, safety and appropriate risk taking.
- Seeks and welcomes feedback and responds to coaching.
- Communicates issues effectively to diverse audiences at multiple levels of the organization in order to gain approval, support or recognition.
- Strong understanding of the applications of mechanical, electrical, electronic technology, to best practices, and knowledge of emerging technology in support of continuous improvement and innovation.
- The ability to directly support the application of new technology, best practices, continuous improvement and innovation directly impacting cost of goods.
Specific Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, etc:
- General knowledge of engineering principles and systems and their application in support of the maintenance function.
- Strong mechanical aptitude and skill demonstrated through successful work experience in a maintenance field, related training, or through a formal apprentice program in a relevant trade.
- Ability to rebuild, repair and/or install various types of pumps, compressors, valves, agitators, gearboxes, mechanical seals and pipefitting.
- Skills in fabrication, metal working. Strong troubleshooting skills in mechanical, pneumatics, hydraulics and basic knowledge of electrical motors. Ability to interact and communicate directly with operations staff to minimize impact to production activities. Basic knowledge of computer systems used in business.
- A High School Diploma or equivalent is a prerequisite.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience required.
- Certification in thermography, vibration or ultrasound preferred.
- Previous work experience in a subset of the following is required: clean utilities operations / maintenance, process equipment maintenance, 5S, reliability and predictive maintenance tools such as thermography, ultrasound or vibration analysis.
- Previous experience using automated work orders and job instructions desired.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds, be able to work off from ladders and scaffolding and able to wear appropriate PPE when necessary.
- The role requires some contact with hazardous materials such as caustic, acid, WFI water and steam.
- Accessing large manufacturing equipment, gowning and exposure to chemicals, confined spaces and hazard work permits.
- Various maintenance work environments including inside, outside, clean room production areas, mechanical support areas, confined/cramped spaces, heights and involvement with systems that handle chemicals, lubricants, steam and pressure.
A little about us:
Our shared focus to become a Diversified Specialty BioPharma company is driving us forward. Pioneering in new areas of research.