Software Engineer II
If leveraging your ninja development skills to help us design and build the next generation of intelligent systems we will use to identify and pursue business opportunities and challenges in the Windows apps ecosystem sounds interesting, this may be the job for you.
The Partner Application Experience (PAX) team is using data to create the insights that drive Microsoft strategy and execution towards creating a successful app ecosystem. We are the classic “well-funded startup”, a relatively new team with some of the brightest engineers in Windows, mandated to build creative and highly effective solutions to help foster an app experience that our customers love and that developers find to be high ROI.
We work with the top developers and studios in the world to build rich, immersive Windows apps that blow away users. We help partners build, design, and launch those apps as great businesses. We also spend a lot of time making sure the whole of Microsoft - marketing, evangelists, and sales worldwide - can do the same, leveraging data and producing best practices to enable Microsoft to move with the speed and agility expected of the most innovative companies in the world.
Our team works across Windows engineering and marketing teams to create leading edge data systems that both Microsoft and ISVs will use to optimize the end to end app ecosystem and individual apps on Windows. We are looking for a full stack developer to work on everything from databases to data abstraction layers to custom reporting user interfaces that will enable us to aggregate, reason over, and produce recommendations based on data around app performance.
• Building the systems that enable partner success: build intelligent, learning systems to combine data across multiple systems and present it for “oh, of course!” moments. Spec, build, and improve the systems over time, deciding their roadmap and adjusting as requirements change
• Managing data infrastructure: Across PAX, peer teams, and vendors, you will be an authority on all the big data resources available to us. You will be a subject matter expert on what systems work in which manner, working with developers on adjacent teams to understand and improve.
• Reverse engineering success: from undocumented data to bubble-gum-and-duck-tape systems, this role requires a willingness to be comfortable with imperfect solutions even as you drive to build them the right way.
• 4+ years of programming experience in web technologies
• Strong design, coding, debugging, and problem-solving skills
• BS in Computer Science, Engineering, or other technical discipline
• Solid Background or rich experience around Data Engineering, Data Science, Data Mining & Analytics and/or Statistics
• A passion for improving and evolving collaboration, engineering practices, and producing high quality software
• Machine learning, neural networks, or other Artificial Intelligence experience a plus
• Experience developing large, high-volume services and responsive, elegant web UI a plus
Our team is a great fit for you if the following describes you:
• General purpose problem solving: you will be working with numerous WDG product teams, finance, sales, and marketing to realize one of the largest opportunities facing Microsoft in one of the most complicated spaces the company operates in. Your ability to apply structured thinking to solve problems in the face of extreme ambiguity is critical, as you will be called upon to contribute to driving growth in every aspect of the business.
• Comfort with ambiguity: the nature of our work is that you will never have all the data you need. You are comfortable triaging, identifying critical vs. tangential, and making (and clearly documenting) assumptions and cuts where appropriate. You sanity-check and independently verify your own work as a matter of course.
• Focus on root causes: you instinctively look to root causes rather than immediate symptoms, with economics and an ISVs viewpoint as a lens. You are willing to make recommendations that may be unorthodox or even contrary to the original goal.
• Excellent visual and written communicator: you summarize complex issues concisely, leveraging clear graphics and to provide context, illuminate details, and make a recommendation. You communicate clearly and genuinely, as an authentic advisor and advocate both internally and externally.
• Every day innovation: you will be on the cutting edge of the fastest moving industry in technology. You will be working across multiple business functions, serving as a thought leader as the company shifts from reacting to app trends to creating them. You are restless in the face of inertia; you seek to constantly grow, to improve yourself, your team, and the company.
• Focused and effective: you’ll work with the top talent at Microsoft and throughout the industry with the goal to deliver great Windows apps to customers. Success is all about staying focused on the goal – ensuring Windows has great apps which are successful in the market.
Your track record of being a great executor and outcome-orientation is among the most important foundations for the job.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.