Posted: January 26, 2017
Reference ID: 183623416
Epiq Class Action & Claims Solutions (Epiq), located in Portland Oregon, is seeking a Project Director to head up the administration of major settlements, both class action and government based. The person in this position should have the educational background and experience to translate court orders, regulations and settlement agreements into consistent, logical administrative processes and provide advice and guidance to clients about the practicalities of handling specific instances of claims or other circumstances within a Settlement in which Epiq is engaged.
The primary goal of this position is to manage successfully the relationship with assigned key clients and to provide oversight for their projects. Direct management of a project team may be required, as well as the oversight of class action Project Managers. Additional duties will include:
• Project Management
• Business Development Support, including travel and in-person meetings, as a subject-matter expert
• Expert testimony
• Coordination across multiple business units
• Analysis of legal and regulatory documents
• Advice and guidance to assigned clients
• Leadership of project teams
• Development of and stewardship to estimates, plans and budgets
• Responding to RFPs or RFIs in private or public sectors
To be successful in this position, the Project Director must have all of the following key skill sets:
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to establish and maintain productive client relationships and to provide effective consultation in alternative ways to proceed.
• Sharp analytical skills to comprehend quickly and interpret legal documents, claims substantiation, and claimant representations and provide guidance on how to handle specific types of claims or applications for restitution funds in accordance with the intent of the Court, Settlement or regulations.
• Effective project management approaches to develop overall project plans and milestones, steward results, draft budgets, coordinate work from multiple business units, and deliver to the high standard of excellence expected by our clients.
• Leadership and supervisory skills to serve effectively as a project sponsor to guide our internal Project Managers in handling complex situations and delivering quality results.
• Critical thinking with an eye to adding value, coupled with sound judgment
• Capable of balancing competing priorities
• Ability to work independently, while effectively taking direction from a senior Epiq executive.
• Adaptability to changing work priorities and client demands
• Resourcefulness in gathering resources to meet project goals
Qualifications & Characteristics
We are seeking a superior candidate for this unique role. As a result, we strongly prefer the following:
• A Juris Doctorate (JD) degree along with substantial work experience post-law school (8 or more years)
• Financial regulatory background
• Project Management Office (PMO) leadership experience
• Candidates with other advanced degrees (such as an MBA) along with substantial client-facing experience and exposure to legal issues and lawyers;
The characteristics of a successful leader at Epiq includes the following:
• An inspirational and personalized leadership style;
• Strong interpersonal and supervisory skills;
• Structured and precise with a results-based approach to business;
• Personal buy-in to our cultural values with a passion for associates, customers, and products;
• Known to be approachable and down-to-earth;
• Acknowledges and gives credit and thanks to others;
• Demonstrates full commitment and offers tactical strength through regular oversight;
• Strategic strength through consistent execution, speed, decisiveness, and risk taking;
• Focused, sophisticated presence;
• Consensus builder, collaborative, flexible thinking and agile; and
• Brevity, informal, and to-the-point.
Further, the Project Director must be an individual who is personable and can rapidly win the respect of our clients. This requires more than simply getting along with others, but instead requires that you consistently speak with authority and guide the process, lay out alternatives, recommend solutions, steer clients and staff around pitfalls while thinking ahead.
About Our Work Environment
Work is fast-paced and performed in an office environment with extensive contact with clients and employees. The industry we serve demands the highest level of confidentiality and professionalism in safeguarding client and project information. Highly effective Epiq associates thrive on being in an environment that rewards the following critical success factors:
• Adaptability: Appropriately reacting to changing situations without a loss of effectiveness and enthusiasm for strategic initiatives and corporate goals.
• Analysis: Identifying problems and causes or analyzing how processes and procedures could be improved, collecting relevant information and identifying possible solutions.
• Attention to Detail: Appropriately completing all of the individual tasks accurately or according to workflow/process guidelines with an emphasis on reaching or exceeding quality standards.
• Creativity: Being inventive, imaginative and innovative.
• Development of Others: Providing the means for others to grow and develop personally and professionally within and across departments.
• Energy: Maintaining a fast, active pace in the normal course of a day.
• Flexibility: Going into situations without preconceived notions with a willingness to assess various options in order to determine a course of action.
• Integrity: Strict adherence to job-related standards, values or norms.
• Learning Ability: Understanding and applying new information.
• Listening. Hearing and comprehending verbal messages and confirming back what you hear.
• Team Player: Functioning as an active member of a group while maintaining focus on your individual contributions and responsibilities.
• Verbal & Written Communication: Effective oral, written and nonverbal expression without preparation.