We are Kerry. The Taste & Nutrition Company. We make products people enjoy and feel better about. And, we are growing. We need talented, passionate people who want to help us make the business better. People who expect better from themselves. People who care about delivering better for customers, their colleagues, the company and their own career. People who take pride in paving new paths to lead the business forward. We need great people who want to do great things. People like you, perhaps.
If you are high energy, self-motivated, creative, collaborative, and enjoy executing against the demands of a fast-paced high growth organization, then consider joining our team to help drive your career and Kerry forward. Learn more and/or apply at www.kerry.com/careers .
Kerry is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Kerry will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditional upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen. Description and Responsibilities
The Project Engineer located in Norwich, NY, is responsible for the following duties/tasks:
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Analyze and evaluate project designs and ensure compliance with engineering principles, company standards, and HSE standards.
- Optimize existing processes and clean-in-place systems, using continuous improvement tools.
- Oversee all phases of assigned projects from inception to final operation. Responsibilities include project planning, estimating, organizing project staff, coordinating, scheduling, installation, commissioning, and financial control.
- May require temporary relocation to complete projects at other Kerry FI&A locations, with the potential for permanent relocation.
- Lead projects to improve equipment cleanliness, debottleneck processes, improve throughput, reduce waste, and decrease costs.
- Assure compliance with Kerry's sanitary design standards. Assist in the sanitary design groups to complete hazard analysis critical control point (HACCP) studies and assure current good manufacturing practices (cGMPs) compliance.
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to detail operations of new equipment or revise SOPs to reflect changes to operations, as the result of modifications to existing equipment.
- Write, debug, and troubleshoot process control logic using Kerry standard software including: programmable logic controllers (PLCs), human-machine interfaces (HMIs), and reporting, alarming, and trending software. Assist site engineering in the troubleshooting of plant instrumentation.
- Advise and recommend improvements in the area of operational safety for a project. Responsible for ensuring and promoting operational safety, environmental protection and employee health/industrial hygiene within a project. Support completion of hazard analysis studies (PHAs/HAZOPs) for existing and new processes.
- Upon approval of capital projects, manage projects to meet all technical requirements while assuring they stay on-time and within budget. These responsibilities include the development of a detailed scope of work, creation of equipment specifications, finalizing purchasing documents, creating and maintaining detailed timelines, expediting and receiving material and equipment, and commissioning activities.
- Develop project specifications and systems by making calculations, preparing process flow diagrams (PFDs), piping and instrumentation drawings (P&IDs), site and floor plans, elevation drawings, utilities matrices, and other project documentation as applicable.
- Conduct feasibility studies for new or existing systems. Present information to and participate in team responsible for determining the most cost effective approach for a project.
- Direct the integration of technical activities and equipment in order to ensure that the desired project results satisfy initial requirements.
- Maintain awareness of new technology and equipment and subsequently develop projects to drive process improvement. Key technologies include acid reaction, hydrolysis, pasteurization, filtration, microfiltration, ultrafiltration, evaporation, spray drying, sifting, blending, milling, packaging, and clean-in-place (CIP) systems.
- Create and modify drawings in AutoCAD.
- Assist in training Production Supervisors, Team Leaders, and Operators on proper operation of equipment.
- Develop/design and schedule project specifications/systems by making complex and non-complex calculations, preparing flow sheets, sketches and drawings necessary to satisfy project requirements.
- Prepare estimates for capital improvements and any related services for management review and approval. Also, develop and write capital proposals for additional projects, within the major project, as well as improvements.
- Conduct start-up field testing and troubleshoot new, modified, and current systems and equipment related to a project. Train personnel responsible for operation of equipment. Advise project leader and participates in selection of contractors/vendors and supervise same in actual design and specifications of installations.
- Provide guidance to appropriate individuals regarding preventative maintenance. May recommend schedules for equipment repair in order to meet existing and changing requirements, including modified production rates that influence equipment operation.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Minimum BS in Chemical or Biochemical Engineering required.
- 3-5 years of experience managing small and/or large projects.
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to manage multiple priorities.
- Able to work and achieve results under pressure.
- Able to translate a concept into a workable manufacturing process.
- Must be able to work independently, i.e., without direct supervision.
- Must enjoy hands-on engineering such as sizing control valves, line sizing, equipment layout, chioce of materials for construction, problem solving, etc.
- Versed in project schedules, cost estimates, PFDs, P&IDs, site and elevation drawings, utilities requirements development, interpretation of P&IDs, with a good understanding of process and instrumentation control.
- Food and/or pharma industry experience required.
- Minimal travel will be required.
- Acute awareness of operational safety is essential.
- Flexibility to work overtime as required.
- More specific parameters related to this position will be defined by the current project including, but not limited to, budget, contacts, amount of travel required, functional accountability.
- Compliance with federal, state, local and Company rules and regulations regarding safety, health and environmental matters.
A little about us:
To delight and nourish consumers across the globe.