About the company
A career at the company offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, the company colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. the company, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
the company colleagues have many perspectives, many backgrounds and many strengths. But we share one goal: to make the world a healthier place. Our investment in people is a commitment to strengthen an already remarkable company. the company is a place for people who strive to learn, grow and lead.
Worldwide Research and Development at the company combines research and technology units that have deep disease area expertise with partner lines that deliver cutting-edge science, generating an efficient R&D operating model, to discover and develop innovative therapies through advancing small molecules and biotherapeutics, including vaccines.
• This laboratory scientist will provide high quality proteomics data in support of cell model characterization and phenotypic screening deconvolution to enable target identification in support of the Worldwide Research and Development portfolio.
• This scientist will play a key role in developing, optimizing and validating proteomic methodologies including chemo-proteomic approaches in support of target identification, target validation and pharmacology using physiologically relevant assay systems.
• This scientist will have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge science using novel technologies.
• This scientist will partner with Research Unit Biologists, Chemistry, and Contract Research Organizations, to deliver on the portfolio.
The successful candidate will join a team of scientists within the Primary Pharmacology Group which is focused on the design, development, optimization and execution of in vitro plate-based screening strategies supporting early Research Unit portfolios. The group also provides the cell model characterization, target identification and validation, protein, peptide and cell expertise to apply physiologically relevant approaches to target-based and phenotypic programs ensuring integrated support from idea to candidate selection.
The successful candidate will be a member of a laboratory with other lab scientists focused on proteomic approaches for cell model characterization as well as target identification and validation from phenotypic screens supporting the portfolios of multiple therapeutic areas and scientific initiatives. He/she will be asked to bring strategic insight into the experimental design, ensuring robust decision-making data that is appropriate for the biological challenges of phenotypic assays and enables the investigation of molecular mechanisms of actions. He/she may serve as a project point of contact for the drug discovery project teams. He/she may also provide oversight and take accountability for the delivery of proteomic data provided by external Contract Research Organizations. Applicants must have a strong scientific background in proteomics, computational analysis of proteomic data and bioinformatics. The candidate will possess strong collaborative and written/verbal communication skills and a positive attitude to interact with multiple partners (e.g. therapeutic area teams, Chemistry and Biology leads, ADME and Safety lines, and Outsourcing vendors). He/she should demonstrate personal leadership within the group, scientific leadership both at the bench and at computational data analysis, and be adept at multi-tasking. He/she will be expected to mentor more junior scientists in the group to drive team success.
Successful candidates will be expected to:
• Be an expert in proteomics and chemo-proteomic principles and technologies, and their application to small molecule target identification, engagement and validation.
• Have hands-on expertise in technologies such as bottom-up mass spectrometry-based applications for in cell and in-vitro quantitative proteomics.
• Engage in hands-on bench work and provide high quality, decision making data to teams
• Be highly self-motivated, with excellent attention to detail and strong organizational and communication (oral and written) skills.
• Be a creative and independent scientific thinker to solve complex technical and scientific problems.
• Work independently yet team-oriented. Capable of building strong relationships with peers, partners outside of function and customers.
• Be proficient in computational analysis and data management and apply appropriate software to specific needs.
• Possess excellent writing and communication skills to works with partners to achieve objectives
• Contribute to and lead local and global projects for target deconvolution of phenotypic screening hits
• Support collaborative scientific initiatives within and across partner lines as appropriate
• Build and maintain a 'cutting edge' awareness of new technology advances, computational modeling system developments, and scientific knowledge in the field to apply these where possible to improve performance
• Mentor and develop less experienced staff to drive team success
• Adopt a Continuous Improvement mindset to improve quality, efficiency and/or cost of processes within the lab
• Promote the company proteomic capabilities and reputation through external publications and presentations.
• Troubleshoot laboratory instruments and assays
• Maintain up to date electronic laboratory notebooks and records in accordance with the company policy.
• Comply with all safety training and good laboratory practices.
• Minimum qualification PhD in analytical chemistry, biochemistry or equivalent with 4+ years of relevant experience to drug discovery utilizing proteomic approaches for cell model characterization, target ID and validation OR MS with 10+ years of industry experience.
• Experience using Mass Spectrometers (LTQ-Orbitrap Elite, Orbitrap Fusion, Q-Exactive Plus, Q-Exactive HF, Voyager DE-STR MALDI-TOF), liquid chromatography (nanoflow, capillary flow, affinity, reverse-phase cationic exchange)
• Expertise in quantitative proteomics using iTRAQ, TMT, SILAC techniques.
• Expertise of LC-MS/MS based method development and optimization for protein quantification from complex biological sample matrices
• Expertise in multi-dimensional LC fractionation and high-throughput quantitative proteomics methodologies such as TMT®, iTRAQ®, SILAC and/or Label-free approaches
• Experience in processing, analyzing and interpreting LC-MS/MS data using commercially available software.
• Have experience in protein isolation from cells, tissues and bio-fluids, sub-cellular fractionation, immuno- or chemical affinity enrichment to selectively enrich proteins from complex biological systems
• Experience in chemical-proteomics applications to study small molecule-protein interactions using affinity/activity-based proteomic probes both for in-lysate and whole-cell workflows.
• Prior experience in a laboratory working as part of a multi-disciplinary team focused on the discovery of novel therapeutic agents.
• Experience with troubleshooting technical assays and protocols
• Experience in designing and developing high content cell based assays and to identify opportunities for improvement in assay execution
• Demonstration of excellent computer, verbal and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated examples of personal and scientific leadership
• Have a sustained track record of delivering high quality data meeting the needs of teams.
• Experience of successfully interacting with and meeting the needs of stakeholder groups is essential as well as having a customer focus.
• Experience of interacting with other groups in related areas such as material management, automation and informatics is essential.
At the company, we believe in helping people lead healthier lives - from our customers to our colleagues. We offer a wide array of programs and plans that give our colleagues the flexibility and tools they need to get and stay healthy, both physically and financially. These include competitive compensation, generous medical, vacation and retirement benefits as well as a number of additional programs.
The Primary Pharmacology group offers an exciting, fast-paced, supportive environment for colleagues, and fosters a culture encouraging openness, innovation and ownership of our science. We aim to provide continual scientific and growth opportunities for personal development commensurate with a colleague's goals and experience.
Sitting, standing, lifting, bending, and walking. Ability to perform practical laboratory bench work and to work on a computer (while standing or sitting). Ability to perform mathematical calculations and interpret data.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
• Travel is not required, however there will be opportunities to travel occasionally to Cambridge, MA to partner with Research Unit project teams and attend appropriate meetings and conferences.
• Compliance with laboratory safety practices.
Other Information - Internal
Colleagues who are issued an Incident Final Warning (IFW) on or after January 1, 2016, are not eligible to post and compete for a position for a period of 12-months from the date an IFW is issued.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
the company is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. the company also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. the company is an E-Verify employer.
A little about us:
Join Pfizer in our mission to find sustainable solutions to the most urgent health care challenges of our time. Your service is needed.