Opower (now part of Oracle Utilities) seeks to help everyone on the planet save energy and move utilities into a clean energy future. Care to join us?
Imagine yourself coming to work everyday to help tackle one of humanity's greatest challenges: energy. We utilize the power of big data to revolutionize the way customers interact with their utility's representatives. Our tools deliver deep, personalized energy insights to end customers and help them be more energy efficient. We believe that by engaging customers about their energy use we can improve their relationship with their utility, help them save money on their energy bill, and reduce energy consumption around the world. About the Team
The Data Platform team owns some of the most critical datasets at Oracle Utilities. We have data for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and we own the processes by which the data are ingested into compute-efficient systems. We build the low-latency services that serve those data, and we maintain the clusters that analyze them. We are as agile as possible, communicate at times through animated gifs, and have a particular appreciation for awkward memes. We are looking for a senior Quality Engineer to help ensure that we continue to build great things. Ideal candidates would be equally as passionate about helping our customers as they are about technology and high-quality engineering practices. As a quality engineer, you'll:
You get excited by:
- Rapidly become proficient with our cutting-edge technology stack and infrastructure.
- Drive the quality of the core data platform upon which all of our products are built.
- Become familiar with the products that are built upon our platform, and acquire an in-depth understanding of how these products leverage it.
- Interact with product management and developers to clarify requirements and identify and mitigate risks.
- Challenge your development team to think through corner cases and possible blind spots.
- Design, develop, and deploy automated and manual tests based on requirements.
- Implement automation using existing tools and frameworks and extending them as necessary.
- Working with large datastores and distributed data processing systems.
- Understanding, testing and debugging complex systems and applications.
- Investigating and identifying the root cause of defects, hands on.
- Working with other top-notch Quality Engineers who are dedicated to maintaining our products' high standards.
- 5 years experience in a fast-paced application-development industry.
- Proficient in and understand the value of manual, exploratory, and end-to-end testing when looking at software as an integrated system and from the consumer's point of view.
- A firm understanding of SQA methodologies, techniques, and approaches.
- Experience in SDLC practices of Scrum Agile.
- Strong background in testing RESTful web services in a SaaS environment.
- Strong experience with SOA and/or microservices.
- Sufficient experience with SQL RDBMS, Hadoop and HBase datastores running under Linux.
- Working knowledge of several programming languages, especially Java.
- Proficiency with a scripting language, preferably Ruby.
- A bility to write automated test code and tools.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in continuous integration environments, like Jenkins.
- Sufficient comfort with Linux to set-up and maintain your own QA environment.
- Sufficient experience with distributed source code control systems, preferably Git.
Responsible for developing, applying and maintaining quality standards for company products with adherence to both internal and external standards. Develops and executes software test plans. Analyzes and writes test standards and procedures. Maintains documentation of test results. Analyzes test results and recommends corrective actions.
As a member of the technical/process QA division, you will plan, conduct and direct projects or major phases of significant projects. Analyze, evaluate and plan methods of approach and organize means to achieve solutions to complex technical problems.
Provide leadership and expertise in the development of new products/services/processes, frequently operating at the leading edge of technology. Recommends and justifies major changes to existing products/services/processes. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 8 or more years of software engineering or related experience.Oracle will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.
A little about us:
Oracle is shifting the complexity from IT, moving it out of the enterprise by engineering hardware and software to work together—in the cloud.