Cummins is a place big enough to coach and develop a global workforce and create the world's leading clean, engine technology. We're also small enough for you to find your fit and personal passion with a team of dependable, innovative thinkers who are developing their careers within a diverse, inclusive, empowering environment.
Learn more about this role and how you can begin Working Right .
Our Power Systems Business Unit delivers reliable, durable, high performing products to our global partners. Working in an innovative space, you'll develop high tech solutions that will fuel your advanced career skill set and empower you to own your career. Our integrated businesses demand the talents and creativity of individuals with a wide range of skills and experience.
This is an exciting opportunity in Seymour, Indiana for a QSK78 Mechanical Integration Leader. Cummins USA is where you can work on industry leading engineering projects such as New Product Development, Value Package Introduction and Systems Product Validation.
This position is for the QSK78 Tier 4 Mechanical Integration Leader. This role is responsible to leading the overall mechanical development for a VPI project. They will work with the subsystem teams to develop the DVP&R, tech profiles, iDFMEAs for this Mobile Off Highway program. Also, they work with the Reliability group on a Reliability Improvement Plan for the program to meet the expectations of the VPP and Customer. Orchestrating the master testing plan is a core work function to minimize testing duration and expense. Tracking the overall testing effectiveness, DVP&R progress, and mechanical development progress during the program to ensure VPI milestones are met is another element of work of the MIL. They will also support and sometimes lead more difficult and challenging program issues that are cross functional. Customer interaction and presentations will be a part of the role articulating program and validation status.
In addition, your impact will happen in these and other ways:
Skills and Experience Required: Skills
- Applies highly specialized knowledge of engineering principles and practices to assigned areas and projects in the design, development, analysis and release of products and subsystems through the product life cycle.
- Creates design specifications considering application, cost, weight, performance, product life, manufacture, assembly and service.
- Verifies design using analysis and or functional testing, interprets results, drives decisions and assesses risk.
- Works with other engineering disciplines and cross-functional disciplines to resolve product issues.
- Evaluates customer needs and aligns requirements with identified customer expectations.
- May fill the role of an assistant chief engineer, product readiness leader or project engineering leader.
- Leads large or multiple engineering projects.
- Performs as the local technical expert for one or more engineering specialties.
- Solves complex problems impacting multiple projects.
- Communicates with and influences key external stakeholders and business leaders.
- Drives and manages system level requirements for projects or programs.
- Makes critical program-related decisions.
- Collaborates with industry peers within their discipline.
- Advances the state of the practice for the technical discipline.
- Sets strategic direction for a program or technical discipline.
- Advises and transfers knowledge of engineering discipline; coaches and mentors less experienced engineers.
- Advises leaders for resolution of complex business problems.
Integrated Design Failure Mode And Effects Analysis (iDFMEA) - Specialized skills in Integrated Design Failure Mode And Effects Analysis (iDFMEA) for complex component, algorithm, control system, or other simple system to logically organize complex cause-fail mode-effect relationships, appropriately identifies risk areas, identifies and prioritizes actions necessary to mitigate risk. Leads / coaches a cross-functional team through the iDFMEA process and teaches/ mentors new users in the basics.
Fatigue Analysis - Uses in-house Goodman code and commercial fatigue code to post-process finite element model results for high- and low-cycle fatigue. Has a thorough understanding of the factors affecting material fatigue strength. Performs basic rain flow cycle counting calculations. Understands the principles behind cumulative damage approaches.
Design Engineering Quality - Understands Cummins' Quality System and Cummins' Engineering Standards which document the companies standard work practices. These include corporate quality documents, site specific quality documents, and all engineering standards including engineering standard work practices.
Develops Systems And Processes - Identifies and implements effective processes and procedures for accomplishing work. Demonstrated results indicating deep knowledge and understanding of the complexities of developing systems and processes. Applies detailed systems and processes to improve and complete work (e.g. communication channels, work steps, procedures, checklists, or flow charts). Demonstrates ability to identify problems resulting from lack of process and develop and apply processes and systems to organize the work. Uses processes and systems to manage multiple and complex work demands. Guides others in the use and application of structured systems and process.
Innovate - Solid understanding of innovation skills and approaches. Takes initiative to generate new ideas within scope of responsibility. Seeks perspectives of others when solving problems or improving processes. Seeks advice when considering risks. Demonstrates willingness to consider new possibilities. Education, Licenses, Certifications
PhD, Masters of Science, Bachelor of Science or equivalent degree in engineering required. Experience
Substantial relevant work experience required, including leadership of small projects or portions of large projects. Compensation and Benefits
Base salary rate commensurate with experience. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits. Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity to start your career with Cummins today. careers.cummins.com
Not ready to apply but want to learn more? Join our Talent Community to get the inside track on great jobs and confidentially connect to our recruiting team: http://connect.find.ly/cummins
No, this isn't one of those ordinary jobs.