The Quality Engineer provides leadership and guidance to the organization acting as a change agent to implement process improvement across the organization in the achievement of an operational excellence environment. This is accomplished through application of knowledge in quality systems, driving adherence to disciplined systems and robust processes, and focused standardization of best practices; in conjunction with managing to a cohesive set of key performance metrics that provide an objective perspective on the business operating system health and effectiveness. The Quality Engineer also creates and maintains cross functional relationships needed to foster a proactive engagement culture amongst the business operations team and a productive working relationship with customers.
Job responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Purchase order and specification review leader focused on negotiation of customer requirements, advanced product quality planning and translation of requirements to operator level
- Customer advocate (Voice of the customer)
- Process improvement leader focused on review, disposition and elimination of material review, concessions, corrective / preventive actions and escapes
- Ensure customer verification is complete (i.e. FAIR) and submitted to the customer.
- Assesses health of the business systems against customer and/or industry standards through an efficient and effective internal audit/corrective and preventative action management system.
- Be a team player and develop relationships, both internally and externally, to achieve the necessary engagement, influence and customer connections (both internal and external) required.
- One who is energized by consistently identifying and overcoming challenges and possessing highly developed quantitative, as well as qualitative skills required.
- Problem Solving and Corrective / Preventive Action skills - Proactive approach (to foresee problems rather than reacting after the event)
- Ability to multi-task in a demanding environment and to work independently with little to no guidance required
- Business acumen (financials, linkage of quality impact to financials, A3 thinking)
- Possess practical understanding of manufacturing processes in order to objectively and independently analyze problems, communicate effectively and facilitate problem solving activities.
- Possess production operation knowledge and experience relating to manufacturing, inspection, engineering and customer interaction.Ability to directly link, monitor and improve quality objectives with overall business objectives of the company,
- Ability to apply problem solving methodology to positively impact business objectives.
- Consistently demonstrate Alcoa values Experience and proficiency in understanding ISO 9000 and/or AS9100 along with knowledge in Statistical Tools and Techniques, APQP and Measurement System Analysis recommended
- Experience in coordinating, developing and executing corrective / preventative /systemic action and process improvement activities. Can effectively work through major and minor issues without getting emotionally disconnected with the issue and what is needed to resolve the issue professionally.
- Least cost application of customer specs/drawings (no over-processing) Blueprint Reading/customer requirements flowdown
- Customer interface and understanding/deployment of customer requirements
- Demonstrated Internal auditing skills
- Understanding of non-destructive validation methodology (Visual, x-ray, penetrant, etc) and Nadcap understanding (if required)Geometric Dimension and Tolerancing (GD&T) understanding
- Basic Computer Skills required; Advanced skills can be learnedUnderstanding of Regulatory requirements
- Communication and Presentation Skills required (written, verbal and non-verbal)Ability to communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Must be able to work with external and internal customers. A
- bility to read and react to verbal and non-verbal communication while maintaining a level of professionalism.
- Can effectively listen.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Complies with all EHS rules required for the work environment
A little about us:
Alcoa is a global leader in lightweight metals technology, engineering and manufacturing, innovating multi-material solutions that advance our world.