This role is a research scientist for the Nutrition Technical Applications - Core Renovation & Sciences team. The role develops and conducts research for applications programs to identify and validate new ingredient and formulation technologies that drive advantage across the global Nutrition portfolio.
Qualifications/Requirements Education / Certifications:
- Research leader for the technical evaluation of new ingredient and formulation technologies for the Nutrition portfolio (Grains, Fruit & Vegetable and Dairy).
- Conducts hands-on applications testing at both the bench and in pilot plant leveraging experimental design.
- Supports interaction and linkage to key Discovery programs in Beverage & Snacks categories to ensure program alignment and technology transfer to Regional teams.
- Identifies and leverages external partners to source new ingredients and technologies. Assesses technology applicability in Nutrition products and delivers proven solutions to product development teams.
- Creates, oversees and executes research programs to deliver technical solutions to improve the nutritional profile of Nutrition products, leveraging strong expertise in food physical chemistry and food ingredient functionality.
- Initiates and leads communication venues with global R&D peers to transfer & implement new technologies for global teams.
- Primary accountability focused on establishing and driving new research focused on Sodium Reduction as well as for the identification of natural preservation tools. Also supports the global Nutrition Sugar Reduction Platform.
- Demonstrates technology applicability and potential, leveraging protocept development and presentations for technical and non-technical audiences
- Leverages strong partnerships with external and internal experts (analytical, sensory, academia) to resolve key technical challenges
- Performs basic economic evaluations on ingredients, ingredients suppliers, and product formulations to assess viability
- Participate as an active member of cross-functional teams comprised of individuals from a variety of disciplines, including Regulatory, legal, Marketing, Purchasing, Engineering and other groups.
- BS Food Science & Technology / Food Chemistry or related field required (MS / PhD strongly preferred)
Skills & Capabilities:
- 6+ yrs of experience, preferably in the Food Industry
- Proven expertise in utilization of scientific method and critical thinking to drive robust research programs and deliver results
- Strong understanding of product formulation and development, ingredient technology, food safety and quality systems.
- Functional knowledge of analytical test methodologies and data interpretation
- Proven ability to make significant technical scientific advances utilizing internal and/or external resources.
- Demonstrated fundamental understanding of the incorporation of business need into technical programs
- Detail-oriented individual with proven ability to independently lead multiple projects and work streams simultaneously, leveraging project management tools.
- Self-starter with superior oral and written communication and presentation skills, the ability to work with various personalities and work styles, and proven influence management skills.
- Strong personal leadership skills and the ability to work effectively in cross-functional and global teams.
- Positive learner--highly creative individual with desire to gain and apply knowledge to new products.
Approximately 10% travel required Relocation Eligible
Not Eligible for Relocation
A little about us:
Our nation’s veterans bring unbeatable life experience, job skills and leadership to PepsiCo. Together We Win.