R&D Electrical Engineer
Company: Johnson Controls
Location: Marinette, Wisconsin
Posted: October 13, 2017
Reference ID: WD30038577284
R&D Electrical Engineer
Design, develop and maintain fire suppression products with specific focus on the detection and control products / components integral to the fire protection product offerings. Communicate and interact with approval agencies, internal functional departments and external resources as it relates to product design and market compliance. Lead specific assigned projects from inception to launch by facilitating/coordinating design and testing efforts in collaboration with customers, engineers, technicians, designers, manufacturing operations and other support personnel as required.
What you will do
• 25% Product Technical Support to the Business
• 25% Product Compliance
• 15% Product Design / Development
• 15% Value Analysis / Value Engineering / Cost Reduction
• 20% Project Management
• Provide technical support to internal and external customers relative to products, documentation and approvals.
• To organize and participate in R&D testing efforts (testing for internal use and 3rd party witnessing) specific to maintaining existing products and developing new products.
• Professionally interact with 3rd party approval agencies to develop and maintain product listings / certifications.
• Ability to facilitate team meetings, encourage cross-functional participation and when necessary lead project teams.
• Compiles and analyzes operational, test and research data to establish performance criteria for existing and new products.
• Supports 3rd party and off-shore technical center engineering efforts. Provide technical guidance and make technical decisions as needed.
• Able to develop and be accountable for project schedules and budgets.
• Committed to performing all responsibilities according to established internal procedures, policies and guidelines.
• Able to travel occasionally.
How you will do it
• ANALYTICAL SKILLS including DIAGNOSTIC HANDS-ON ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONICS TESTING ABILITY. An ABILITY to LEARN & SUPPORT the DESIGN, TESTING, DEVELOPMENT & TROUBLESHOOTING of FIRE DETECTION & CONTROL PRODUCTS including proprietary third party developed SOFTWARE/FIRMWARE. Candidate to have a passion and an ABILITY TO LEAD/SUPPORT RIGOROUS PRODUCT PERFORMANCE TESTING that includes an ability to utilize advanced statistical concepts to analyze data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. The ability to be "hands-on", learn and understand specific field applications of installed fire suppression products and continuously work to improve our product performance and value to our customers is an essential job requirement.
• Project Management (multi-tasking)
• ORGANIZATIONAL SKILLS: An attention to project organization and detail is critical to success as the integrity of the engineering project data and ability to task multiple simultaneous projects as well as to support the routine technical needs of the business is a job requirement.
• Strong Interpersonal and Communication Skills (can build and manage effective teams)
• COMMUNICATION SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical documents. Ability to timely respond to internal and external technical and business related inquiries. Ability to prepare documents, reports, presentations and present in a format appropriate for the targeted audience. Ability to positively/professionally interact with all personnel.
• Self-Motivated and Drives for Results
• DESIRE TO LEARN: Ability / Desire to continually learn. Essential to keep abreast of product design and offerings within areas of assigned support responsibility. Maintain a working knowledge of in-house and external manufacturing processes associated within product support areas. Maintains a working knowledge of general industry and specific agency approval requirements to insure product compliance.
• Computer Proficient (MS Office, MS Project, CAD, preferably CREO)
What we look for
• Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering (minimum).
• Industry and related experience a significant plus.
• The specific level of this R&D Engineering role (Engineer I, II or III) will be appropriately aligned and commensurate with the targeted candidate skills and experience.
• Product Design & Testing (problem solving skills)
Who we are
At Johnson Controls, we're shaping the future to create a world that's safe, comfortable and sustainable. Our global team creates innovative, integrated solutions to make cities more connected, buildings more intelligent and vehicles more efficient. We are passionate about improving the way the world lives, works and plays. The future requires bold ideas, an entrepreneurial mind-set and collaboration across boundaries. You need a career focused on tomorrow. Tomorrow needs you.
Johnson Controls is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation during the application process please email SpecialAccommodations@Tyco.com