Ethicon, Inc. is a surgical care company within the Medical Devices sector of Johnson & Johnson family of companies. We are recruiting for an R&D Engineer, Plus Sutures to join the Wound Closure and Repair team. This position will be based in Somerville, NJ
The Ethicon business offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies-including sutures, hemostasis products, surgical staplers, trocars, energy devices and synthetic mesh devices-that are used in a wide variety of open and minimally invasive surgical procedures. Specialties include support for treatment of colorectal and thoracic conditions, women's health conditions, hernias, cancer and obesity. The Ethicon business combines products and services of two market leading legacy companies, both with long histories of medical innovation. Ethicon, Inc. based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and effectiveness of surgery.
The Global Surgery Innovation organization supports all business technologies under Global Surgery, including Wound Closure/Hernia/Gynecare, Endomechanical, Biosurgery, Energy, Acclarent, Mentor, Cardio Vascular, BWI and Sterilmed. Global Surgery Innovation functions include Business Unit R&D, Regulatory, and Clinical and Medical Affairs.
The R&D Engineer, Plus Sutures will:
- Provide technical support to cross-functional / multidisciplinary project teams in the design, development, and manufacturing of surgical sutures, surgical devices, in particular devices that combine antibacterial agents with medical devices. The individual in this position would be expected to conduct hands-on materials development and characterization.
- Provide technical support for marketed medical device products to other business functions, including Regulatory compliance activities.
- Compile and analyze data to identify relationships/root causes in order to draw conclusions and generate reports.
- Contribute inventions, new designs, new processes and techniques to solve technical problems based on customer needs. Effectively applies state-of-the-art scientific/technical knowledge to projects; demonstrates state-of-the-art proficiency in own field
- Incorporate manufacturability into new product development and interact with manufacturing to scale up R&D prototype equipment to manufacturing capacity.
- Interact with customers (surgeons) to identify unmet needs and validate designs.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Bio Medical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or related field with a minimum of 4 years industrial experience as a technical contributor, OR a Master’s Degree in similar field with a minimum of 2 years industrial experience OR Ph.D. with a minimum of 1 year industrial experience in similar field is required.
- Adept, hands-on experimentalist with knowledge in chemistry and demonstrated understanding of material property characterizationis preferred
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment that embraces change, risk, and flexibility is required. Candidates must possess a demonstrated track record of ability to work independently, within a team with a sense of urgency against timelines and in a matrix cross-functional environment.
- Experience in medical devices product/process development is preferred.
- Knowledge of medical devices regulations is preferred.
- Knowledge of Design/Process Excellence (Six Sigma) is preferred.
- Ability to incorporate manufacturability into new product development and interact with manufacturing to scale up R&D prototype equipment to manufacturing capacity
- Problem solving skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- This position is based in Somerville, NJ and requires up to 10% travel, both domestic and international.
United States-New Jersey-SomervilleOrganization
Ethicon Inc. (6045)Job Function
R&D Engineering (R&D)Requisition ID
A little about us:
Johnson & Johnson cares for the world - bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.