High Level Function Overview
The R&D Information (RDI) function is accountable for delivery to AstraZeneca's Science Units - Innovative Medicines & Early Clinical Development and Global Medicines Development. R&D Information is a global function located across multiple geographies including United States, Sweden, United Kingdom, Japan, China and India.
The core objective of R&D Information is to be a world-class partner to the Science Units in the successful progression of the drug pipeline. As part of AstraZeneca IT, R&D Information is accountable for the end to end delivery of Information and IT services in line with customer expectations and the available budget and resources. Alongside the delivery and management of scientific solutions and services, the function provides expertise in Informatics and in scientific Information.Key Accountabilities for R&D Information Hub Lead role
Competitive advantage will come from having a strong understanding of Pharmaceutical R&D's processes, information challenges, and of the current end to end technical solution capabilities. R&D Information Hub Leader is a member of the R&D Information leadership team and is accountable for maximising the business impact delivered by our scientific information technology enabled projects and services. At the same time, the R&D Information Hub leader is overall accountable for IT delivery to AstraZeneca's South San Francisco hub site, and as such member of the site leadership team. Therefore, the position will require pharmaceutical R&D functional expertise, IT account and program management experience, as well as technical acumen.
A team player, the role holder will be passionate about delivering business results, measured in terms of impacts that enable the successful progression of the drug discovery and development pipeline, as it relates to R&D activities at the South San Francisco hub site, but also global AstraZeneca capabilities and services. The role holder will ensure the delivery of end to end IT capabilities and services across all functions related to the hub site, and accordingly liaise with respective central AZ IT functionsWe are looking for an individual who will bring a real sense of urgency and with a blend of scientific and technical leadership to be a credible, visible leader both locally and across the global organization.Candidate Focus & Challenge
Candidate Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- The role will develop key strategic relationships across our Science Units and externally to AZ and identify ways for R&D Information to contribute to achieving and exceeding business objectives through leading capabilities in Informatics and Information management.
- Establishes and promotes a vision for how effective information management and scientific informatics can benefit and enable the successful delivery of the drug pipeline and add competitive advantage.
- Works with our Regional Teams to ensure our resources are deployed effectively to support both drug projects and functions and to capability-build initiatives (new solutions and services).
- Leads on the formulation and implementation of an information centric view of the business. Ensure that R&D Information takes a leading position in understanding how R&Ds information assets are acquired, managed, processed and ultimately used in creating insights and supporting informed decision making.
- Stimulates the creation of ideas among colleagues across the organisation. Identify future trends and innovative application and analytics.
- Maintains business cases for funding of initiatives and for the development of new capabilities.
- Leads directly (or through membership of steering groups, or as a sponsor) the delivery, implementation and embedding of new Informatics-enabled approaches, and communicates these steps to senior business leaders, ensuring successful change management and delivery of benefits.
- Takes responsibility for measuring business impact and the level of user satisfaction, at regular intervals or after each significant delivery of product or service.
- Ensures a coordinated approach to keeping our skills at the leading edge and with external thought leader insights.
- Establishes collaborative partnerships with other relevant functions and teams - across Innovative Medicines and Global Medicines Development, customer aligned and central IT functions, and external partners.
- Participates in cross-industry, government and other consortia/forums (e.g. IMI, Pistoia) and takes a leading role in shaping the right opportunities with internal and external leads including Scientific Relations, Corporate Affairs.
Key Professional skills include :-
- A track-record of delivering business impact through a passion for delivering information technology enabled solutions, across the spectruem of pharmaceutical research and development.
- Demonstrated ability to build strategic working partnerships with senior R&D leaders, peers and partners.
- A passion for developing a diverse team of professionals.
- Extensive knowledge of the pharmaceutical R&D domain.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and shape a balanced portfolio of work - aligned to our stakeholders' goals whilst adding edge and driving innovation in future capability.
- Proven ability to interpret and communicate technical and scientific information in a simple, clear and engaging manner. Excellent written and verbal skills with fluent English (written and verbal).
- Experience in managing cross functional, end to end IT initiatives. Experience in end to end IT delivery at smaller bio-techs, start ups, etc., is highly beneficial.
- Focused on results - tracking and measuring the impact of initiatives with a relentless focus on driving improvement.
- Innovation - Driven to create competitive advantage and new business opportunities through the effective exploitation of scientific information.
- Stakeholder management - Develops lasting, strategic relationships with internal and external stakeholders. Operates with a learning, open, collaborative style.
- Values - An excellent fit with our corporate values: We follow the science; we put patients first; we play to win; we do the right thing; we are entrepreneurial.
- Excellent written and verbal skills with fluent English (written and verbal)
- The position will report into one of the R&D Information global account leads.
- Capability line leadership of a small team (four) individuals.
- Influence across multiple global IT functions and account teams
- The ability to travel both domestically and internationally.
- This role will be a part of the R&D Information Leadership team.
Apply now to learn more about this exciting opportunity with a world renowned pharmaceutical brand!
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
A little about us:
At AstraZeneca, we believe the best way we can help patients is to focus on breakthrough science in order to uncover disease mechanisms and develop novel, targeted therapies that interact with them. This is at the heart of our purpose as a company: to push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines.