The primary purpose of the role is to drive the front-end innovation activities for Arconic Technology Center. This is accomplished through the creation of a portfolio of profitable, new technology driven ventures that take advantage of mega trends and emerging technologies as sources of insight into promising opportunities.
Major Activities / Key Challenges:
- Create and maintain an environment in which open innovation partnerships and entrepreneurial mindset are promoted and new business opportunities are incubated
- Accountable to develop and articulate the vision for front end innovation and execution of processes from idea generation, business case through identification of landing entities (eg. business units or external parties)
- Identify, analyze and select emerging technology areas that best leverage Arconic's current market advantages.
- Secure continuous funnel of projects with focus on creation and rapid prototyping of new scalable solutions
- Build and cultivate relationships with Arconic Business Units to foster collaboration on new business opportunities
- Drive development of detailed business plans (including risk assessment & mitigation) and execution strategies and challenge the status quo for high growth opportunities
- Collaboratively develop a path to scale for successfully validated business concepts
- Responsible for oversight and strategy development of the Arconic library
- Supervise a team of ~10 employees, providing mentorship, training, career planning and development
- Collaborate and partner with complementary disciplines across Arconic, including Technology Transition for commercialization activities, Project Management Office, Corporate Market Sector Teams, Business Units, Legal, Finance, etc.
- Conduct special projects as necessary
Essential Knowledge & Skills / Education:
- Extensive technical breadth in the areas of materials, processes, products, applications, designs, plus exposure to domestic and international markets and megatrends across a wide range of industries
- Entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to think 3-5 years ahead of what is available today
- Demonstrated ability to learn new processes, concepts and technologies easily
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to create common knowledge, generate buy-in and influence stakeholders and senior management toward recommended decisions
- Solid personal network in the technology/innovation arena to expand opportunity horizon
- Project and/or Program management skills paired with stakeholder management experience (internal and external)
- Leadership and mentoring skills
- Technical aptitude and understanding of finance, marketing, operations, strategic planning and strategic partnering relevant to Arconic's global network, objectives and values
- Master's Degree in Engineering, Science, Physics, or Business from an accredited institution
- Minimum 5 years experience managing complex projects/programs
- Minimum 5 years experience in industrial, technical or research and development environment
- Minimum 1 year experience in front end R&D innovation
- Employees must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
- This position is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) which requires U.S. person status. ITAR defines U.S. person as an U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- Experience managing an R&D innovation team
A little about us:
Arconic Inc. (NYSE: ARNC) creates breakthrough products that shape industries. Working in close partnership with our customers, we solve complex engineering challenges to transform the way we fly, drive, build and power. Through the ingenuity of our people and cutting-edge advanced manufacturing, we deliver these products at a quality and efficiency that ensures customer success and shareholder value.