The R&D IT Lead Architect will establish the application/integration blueprint and standards across the R&D business domain. Work in collaboration with Enterprise Architects, Technical Architects and other Solution Architects to establish an overarching Enterprise Architecture that leverages and integrates shared and common technologies.
He or she will provide business domain and technology or process knowledge/experience to advise on appropriate technology options suited for the business capability to be delivered. Ensure that the architecture design satisfies the architecturally-significant requirements and collaborate with technical and enterprise architects as appropriate in the design process. The R&D IT Lead Architect can be directly responsible for the technical design of a new capability based on the strategic value/impact of the solution for the R&D organization (e.g. system of differentiation)
The R&D IT Lead Architect will continually evaluate the portfolio of applications within the R&D business domain and work in collaboration with Business Partners, Solution Architects and Service Managers in developing system lifecycle refresh plans.
He or she will work in collaboration with Application Service Managers to ensure the state of the system (application and underlying infrastructure components) is captured and technical, operational, demographic and architectural attributes of the systems are accurately maintained in Shire's systems of record. Work in collaboration with IT Business Partners to ensure alignment of technology roadmaps to business strategies.
Drive or participate in innovation initiatives to deliver new capabilities that benefit or add value to the R&D business community.
Create a culture of innovation within the R&D IT organisation to ensure progressive and advancing technologies are introduced into the IT landscape.
The R&D IT Lead Architect can also act as a consultant/advisor to the business functions on demand.
Define standards and strategy
- Create application/integration blueprint and standards for the R&D systems
- Assist in the creation, development, management and performance of the defined IT service organization
- Identify construction sourcing options as part of the project planning process
- Annually, the incumbent will participate in the IT portfolio planning process to plan for current and anticipated project requirements.
- Share best practices and be consultative to clients throughout duration of the project
- Participate in relevant road mapping and business case development activities to provide input on new projects (e.g. for new capabilities, lifecycle refresh and enhancements)
- Collaborate with other teams on innovation and ideation oportunities
Design of the application and mapping client business requirements to systems/technical requirements
- Formulate and define scope and objectives pertaining to the IT systems
- Ensure service metrics relating to performance, scalability or resilience can be adhered to
- Possess and maintain broad technical and business knowledge of all aspects of the service
- Provide design input on new services and solutions (e.g. solution architecture, app security, support model)
- Provide current best practice and 3rd Party solution alternatives as part of the functional design document
- Ensure Disaster Recovery requirements, both RPO and RTO are incorporated into system designs and standards as and where appropriate
- Develop and document the system design specifications as part of any new project and then maintain thereafter.
- Participate in process flow analysis and process redesign along with the Business Analyst
- Assess and review innovation and ideation oportunities during the design phase
- Manage and maintain SEAMs to ensure it is up to date and representative of the R&D business processes
- Manage and measure quality of service delivery through service metrics
- Create and then maintain the System Design Specification for every responsible system
- Responsible for ongoing lifecycle management of relevant systems and applications, including potential decommissioning
- Manage and maintain the system roadmap and provide input and awareness of future upgrade plans and projects.
- Responsible to stay current on infrastructure changes (internal or external), relevant vendor roadmaps and managing the appropriate remediation/mitigation efforts
- Monitor the relevant information technology domains and trends and feed or support the innovation portfolio with novel technologies able accelerate innovation, drug development or market access. Take accountability for innovation POC.
- Establish strong working relationship with all required vendors to ensure upgrade paths, system dependencies and retirement plans are understood and accommodated for.
Develop partnership, team work and communication
- Assist key IT stakeholders in the capacity forecasting and planning estimates relating to the portion of the IT project portfolio that falls within the R&D IT Lead Architect's associated applications
- Development and enforcement of architectural standards
Education & Experience Requirements:
-Bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems, business administration or other related field (or equivalent work experience).
-Pharmaceutical experience specific to and with knowledge of R&D business processes
-ITIL certification and project management training certification (preferred).
-Typically at least eight to ten years of IT work experience and five to seven years in an R&D organization related to application architecture and related technologies, in an environment similar in size and complexity to the organization (required).
-Demonstrable and recent experience in architecture design and standards.
-Strong knowledge of IT Computer Systems Validation processes is required.
Required knowledge and skills:
• Proven software architecture and software development knowledge
• Strong computer sciences and engineering background
• System integration experience
• Data Architecture & Management
• Experience with BioPharma Research and Development recommended
• Computer system validation and SDLC
• Good communication and reporting skills.
• Experience with cloud computing, social software, analytics, mobile applications
• Consultative skills and an ability to discuss technology and architecture in business terms
• Ability to operate in a matrix organization, Innovative thinking and ability to execute on innovative ideas to deliver results
• Mature and self-motivated professional able to work in a fast-paced and constantly changing environment.
• Ability to relate the goals of IT technology to business goals.
• A focus on customer satisfaction with strong interpersonal skills and responsiveness.
• Adherence to IT policies , processes and standards to ensure consistency
• Capacity to develop strong personnel performance goals.
Shire is the leading global biotechnology company focused on serving people with rare diseases and other highly specialized conditions. We strive to develop best-in-class products across our core therapeutic areas including Hematology, Immunology, Neuroscience, Ophthalmics, Lysosomal Storage Disorders, Gastrointestinal/Internal Medicine/Endocrine, Hereditary Angioedema, and Oncology.
A little about us:
At Shire, we help people with rare diseases and specialized conditions live their lives to the fullest.