Use chemistry, microbiology, engineering, and other sciences to study the principles underlying the processing and deterioration of foods; analyze food content to determine levels of vitamins, fat, sugar, and protein; discover new food sources; research ways to make processed foods safe, palatable, and healthful; and apply food science knowledge to determine best ways to process, package, preserve, store, and distribute food.Key Responsibilities:
- Develop new or improved ways of preserving, processing, packaging, storing, and delivering foods using sciences
- Under the limited supervision of project leader, performs lab tests and conducts analysis in a timely, accurate, and cost-effective manner.
- Develop and lead research work packages including hypotheses and DOE within broader research project for work packages; serve as project leader on low complexity projects
- Manage lab or pilot processes, supplies, instruments and equipment to achieve maximum efficiency and output
- Actively participates in safety related activities, works safely and according to all safety and quality procedures and policies, and proactively contributes to safety observations. Serves on safety committee or leads safety objectives, as appropriate.
- Highly developed critical thinking skills required in order to determine various potential technical solutions and solve technical problems utilizing standard research methodology
- In conjunction with project leader, develop work package objectives, related to overall project goal, develop hypotheses and determine experimental DOE and execute research plan
- Stays current in area of expertise and area of project related research by reading and interpreting scientific literature and IP, and is actively involved in external scientific organizations
- Significant time (approximately 60-75%) is spent in lab or pilot plant generating data and pursing technical solutions.
- Assists project leaders in or leads preparation of scientific publications (internal and external), patent applications, presentations at R&D Forums, and presentations to senior management; where appropriate, gets involved in external committees. Highly technical and specialized individual contributor.
- Confer with process engineers, plant operators, flavor experts, and packaging and marketing specialists to resolve problems in product development
- Inspect food processing areas to ensure compliance with government regulations and standards for sanitation, safety, quality, and waste management standards.
- MS or Ph.D. (preferred) in chemical/electrical/food engineering, material science, food/dairy science, chemistry or other related applied science/engineering/technology disciplines
Skills & Capabilities:
- 3-5 years experience with a CPG company
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Preferred - Demonstrated expertise and a record of achievement in mathematical modeling and simulation of physical/chemical industrial processes, especially related to heat and mass transfer, thermodynamics, molecular dynamics, etc.
- Preferred- Demonstrated track record of publication in scientific journals and presentations at scientific conferences.
Eligible for Limited Relocation