NOTE: This position is located at our downtown Chicago location.
You will need to be able to work from this location at least 3x per week. Flexible work remote is an option once you are fully integrated into the business unit. Job Summary
Walgreens is looking for a Technical-Rapid Prototyping Lead Developer to join one of the largest initiatives in our company, Pharmacy Renewal. The Walgreens Pharmacy Renewal efforts seek to design and build the largest, most advanced pharmacy infrastructure in the world from the ground up. Empowered to operate as an innovation center, this effort represents one of Walgreens most important programs at both global and local levels. US, UK and Italy based teams will be leveraging the most advanced and exciting technologies to build on Walgreens strategic vision to service the 13,100 plus pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing retails stores Worldwide.
This role combines architect, lead developer and deployment skills to lead the design and integration of various technologies in support of Pilots and Prototypes. The Rapid Prototyping Lead will be primarily responsible for design, execution and delivery of exploratory concepts, rapid prototypes, and pilot solutions designed to test hypothesis and incubate transformative new capabilities with various technologies. Key activities will consist of understanding, creating an integrated assembled end-to-end solution modifying and deploying software assets and packages to fit the requirements, provisioning required runtime through IaaS or PaaS capabilities of various Cloud providers, development of Java based services in support of the innovation efforts. Key responsibilities include leading explorations execution and from technology standpoint of view, including: strategy, rapid prototype architecture and design, build, assemble, test, pilot ; documenting and articulating solution architecture and lessons learned for each exploration and accelerated incubation; encouraging new transformative thinking, trail blazing, and facilitating imagination and ideation sessions; maintaining current knowledge of technology landscape and emerging developments; employing practical approach to incubation and eventual platform integration; driving and orchestrating external partner or vendor collaboration to satisfy the needs of any given exploration; working with dedicated Innovation team and with various other Product and Enterprise teams to execute explorations as part of accelerated incubation of new capabilities and ensuring alignment, knowledge transfer and transition of proven concepts and incubated capabilities to Product and to the Enterprise teams across Walgreens Boots Alliance for productization and scaled up operationalization.
The position relies on the individual to be a self-starter, quick learner and have the ability to innovative and report on tasks and status proactively. Will be a seasoned technical generalist, who understands infrastructure, programming and integration with background in Java and modern frameworks. The successful candidate will have an imaginative mind set, be creative with substantial hands-on experience in utilizing, exploring and adopting emerging technologies to build viable and innovate solutions, while working within a global team, and adhering to delivery excellence for execution and lifecycle management. Individual is experienced and successful with innovation and taking advantage of emerging trends and technologies to test hypotheses, prove feasibility, viability and fail fast.Job Responsibilities
- Creates design documents that ensure consistency in development across the IT/Engineering organization. Participates in the definition of IT/Engineering architecture to ensure that the IT/Engineering organization's solutions are built within a consistent framework.
- Participates in the decision-making processes related to the selection of software architecture solutions.
- Serves as a technical and business-savvy resource to software development engineering personnel on a range of software design issues.
- Implements and improves core software infrastructure. Participates in improving software development lifecycle, technical operations and technology innovation.
- Participates in developing technical / business approaches and new or enhanced technical tools.
- Shares complex information related to areas of expertise and/or to gain acceptance of new or enhanced technology / business solutions. .
- Effectively resolves problems and roadblocks as they occur.
- May perform systems and applications performance characterization and trade-off studies through analysis and simulation.
Walgreens, one of the nation's largest drugstore chains, is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise. More than 10 million customers interact with Walgreens each day in communities across America, using the most convenient, multichannel access to consumer goods and services and trusted, cost-effective pharmacy, health and wellness services and advice. Walgreens operates 8,175 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Walgreens omnichannel business includes Walgreens.com. Approximately 400 Walgreens stores offer Healthcare Clinic or other provider retail clinic services. Basic Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree and at least 5 years of experience in an IT, Engineering and/or Architect role OR High school / GED and at least 8 years of experience in an IT, Engineering and/or Architect role.
- At least 3 years of leadership experience in server side or client side technologies
- Experience in domain-specific architecture concepts and emerging technologies. (Design patterns, frameworks, current Java based solutions, mobile, OR Infrastructure Administration OR Data Sciences)
- At least 1 year of experience in domain-specific Architecture.
- Experience working with matrix teams including teams in different time zones;
- Experience creating and promoting guiding development principles and influencing development teams, business users and management in adoption of technical solutions.
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Information technology, Engineering, Science, or Math.
- At least 5 years of experience in the field of innovation and comprehensive technology solutioning
- Experience with cloud infrastructure and provisioning technologies such as Azure or Google Cloud Iaas and PaaS capabilities
- Experience with Java/J2EE and other modern frameworks
- Experience designing and implementing REST APIs, third-party integrations using enterprise integration patterns, and enterprise service bus components
- Knowledge of Microservices style architecture
- Experience implementing back-end API services according to design reference documents and modify existing assets to fit requirements
- Experience implementing or adopting Enterprise's Continuous Deployment and Integration
- Experience performing automated Unit Testing and Integration Testing
- Experience resolving technical issues related to infrastructure, programming or packages
- Experience with one or more of the following: Atlassian tool set: Bamboo, bitBucket (Git)Maven, Junit, Artifactory - Jfrog , Docker, Cloud Foundry and Chef
- Knowledge of Robotic Process Automation
- Experience with R&D and innovation type activities
- Experience with innovation accelerators
- Global experience
- Pharmacy or Healthcare industry knowledge
- Experience with DevOps tooling and processes and knowledge of Atlassian BitBucket (Git) and Bamboo, Maven/Gradle and Artifactory
The training you received, the discipline you embraced, and the responsibilities you held in the military will serve you well at Walgreens.